Rx-7 budget

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tobagator, Aug 19, 2004.

1. tobagator

tobagator But see drugs and plastic thugs, ain't gon change

If i was planning on buying a 94-95 rx-7, i was wondering what a realistic budget would be. i was thinking about 20,000 would be enough for car/ some mods. mostly how much of a money hole is it?

2. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

20k is a good start. The expensive part is the upkeep though. I do all my own work and sink I would guess an average of 2k a year into it. I just finished $600 worth of bushings and have another $1k or more to go before they are all done.

3. Targaholic

Targaholic Guest

I guess you could say its a fairly big money hole considering not many people take care of them with the upkeep. Heat is a big problem with the FDs. Vented hoods can solve that. Along with apex seals which I'm sure you already know about. 25K is what I would consider a starting budget.

4. dctwo

dctwo Guest

FD is surly a pain in the ass...

5. TainoIndian

TainoIndian OT Supporter

money hole!:slap:
    this is not the right car for you if money is a matter. i have a 93 RX-7 and it has held up well but $$$$$ its a beautiful thing.......the FD:naughty:

i think you better go to www.RX7club.com and ask more questions...most people here will hate on the rotaries

6. TainoIndian

TainoIndian OT Supporter

hey whats up tom93R1:wavey:

how is your car running any new mods to your 7?

7. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Hey Alex,
    Not much new to the FD. Just cleaning it up for the trip to sevenstock (for those of you not in the know, http://sevenstock.org). I did replace the turbos a couple months ago and all the pillow ball bushings and toe links. The thing runs and rides like a new car. I wish I had done those bushings years ago!
    How about you? Hows the car?

8. Traffic

Traffic Guest

Always loved the FD. :big grin:

$20k is about right, maybe more than enough. Almost got an FD before I got my G35c. It was going for about $15k and really didn't need any input from my end. Owner had taken great care of it and done everything to it. Mechanically, it was set. Just needed to take care of little odds and ends in the interior.

9. TainoIndian

TainoIndian OT Supporter

i been busy sorry, i am working part time now untill i get out of college so i have very little money for my rx7, last thing i did was the mazda reman i have about 3,000mi so far. I need to do the bushings where did you get the bushings (stock right) did you talk to ray at malloy?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  10. TainoIndian

TainoIndian OT Supporter

those damn interiors!

everything in the interior falls apart easily on these cars, its been a pain looking for used parts without spending the same amount new parts cost:wtc:

11. Mr3plus1

Mr3plus1 Too many projects

$15k will buy you an average RX7. Keep another $5k for repairs. Make sure to always leave some of that to the side for a rebuild just in case. You never know when one might sneak up and surprise you. Be prepaired to either do 99% of the work yourself or pay out the ass for some specialty shop to do it for you.

RX7 is a money hole. It will burn a hole in your wallet. Nothing is cheap. Not mods, not repairs, not replacment parts. And depending on what condition it is, you might even need to dump some money into it right after you buy it. The car is great. Its everything under the hood that blows on them. Personally, I wouldnt buy an RX7. Not worth the hassle. If you do get one, I wouldnt use it as a daily driver. Or at least if you do, have a backup ride incase it breaks.

12. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

I got them from Mazdaformance. I have never used Malloy, but I hear they are great.

Mr3plus1> Have you ever driven a 3rd generation rx7? If you are looking for a race car you can drive on the street nother feels as good as the rx7 until you are willing to put down the $ for something like a 911. There may be some faster cars, but very little with the some race car feel. That IMO makes it worth the work. I have daily driven mine for 4 year, I meticulously maintain it and have never been left stranded.

13. DSM Turbos

DSM Turbos Guest

buy a blown motor fd put a ls1 in it

14. thafox

thafox Guest

how very orignial :squint: ....put a ls1 in a fd, i think that's very :greddy: just cuz ppl think that a v-8 > 13bturbo just cuz the apex seal's go easily an bla bla bla

15. rx7slideways

rx7slideways Guest

malloy is a great place. ray crow knows his stuff. btw i have a 2 fc's . the car is a tab bit troublesome but the way it performs more than makes up for the work you have to put into it. but the thing with that is that i love to work on cars . so it doesnt really bother me

16. Mr3plus1

My car -

[​IMG]

17. DSM Turbos

DSM Turbos Guest

didn't say it was orginal for one. And the potential of the ls1 in a fd rocks. 11s with no mods, 10s with minimal stuff. Keeps the 50/50 weight, and the ls1 is a rock solid motor. i think you are :greddy:

18. Mr3plus1

LS1 > 13b in pretty much every aspect. I think the only thing the 13b is better than the LS1 at is rebuild. You can get them cheap. And its pretty cheap to rebuild them yourself (no machining costs). Less moving internals, but still, LS1 > 13b.