GUN Rusty AK kits

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Keesh, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Keesh

Keesh New Member

2. more off

more off Moderator

too much work for my taste :o

3. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Thats bullshit. Guns and ammo are getting so expensive that its not even fun to collect anymore
    For the first time in a long while I want to build a gun (retro AR) and seeing the current prices of parts kits/surplus guns, and ammo, its just pisses me off

4. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

So $115 for the parts... How much for the receiver and to have someone build it for you? I'm tempted. :o

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

$55 for a 100% receiver.

Takes me half an hour to blast it at the most, I gotta do it anyway to prep the metal before refinishing it. I have a good time working on them too :hs:

6. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

How bad do you suppose the bore is on something like that?

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

when you get yours can you post images of what an actual kit looks like and a review of how the bore is?

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

It says the internals are like new and I remember a couple months ago when another place had these for sale, the bores were brand new. The kits had just been damaged (rusted) during shipment, the bores are chrome lined so they should be fine.
    Will do.

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:bigthumb:

BTW is 55 for a complete receiver of an unbent flat w/o rails? If I built one I think I'd rather not have to learn bending on welding on an AK.

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:cool: I didn't know AK's had chrome bores.

11. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Yeah even my WASR has a chrome lined bore.

12. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:cool::bigthumb:

13. BigBadJohn

I have a chrome set of nerf bars on my pickup and theyre covered in rust :dunno:

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Ahh.. So you are capable of cleaning these up yourself then. I was looking at them and some of that cancer looked fairly deep. Not for sure it would be worth the time or effort, or the $$ to pay someone to fix it up. If you enjoy doing it though, it would certainly be a cool project.

Can you Tig? Some of the pitting on the one pictured looked like it might could stand to be welded up.

Take some pictures of the how it goes along, it would be cool to see some of that.

15. BigBadJohn

Would make some okay plinkers maybe. Other than that, looks like a little too much work if you wanted to make a really good looking rifle

16. Keesh

Keesh New Member

$55 for a complete, heat treated and everything, NDS receivers are awesome, they make building AKs real quick.
    http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm NDS-3

I'm not looking for a wall hanger or anything, just a shooter. I can TIG, not great at it though, but I know a few guys who will help me out if I get stuck.

I'll post an update when I get it, if it's decent looking on the inside, I may order another one or two. Hopefully they don't sell out by then.

17. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

so this is worth it? what is the cost of a full receiver? I dont' have the tools to do all the stamping and all that bullshit.

you should do an EDU for some of us on how you will fix this up. I might order a few right now, if you can tell me that this isn't that big of a deal.

18. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

wouldn't you have to fully disassemble every last pin/rivet before refinishing?

more info is needed plz :x:

19. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

good to know . . . . I'm getting a set put on, I'm sick of people complaining (and an occasional small girl actually falling out of the truck)

any idea what brand the ones you have are, so I know what to avoid?

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

"Worth it" is one of those questions you will have to answer yourself.

Building an AK isn't rocket science, but not knowing your mechanical aptitude, or selection of tools makes it hard to forecast whether or not it is something you will be able to do. Google "how to build an AK" and see for yourself if you think it's something you would want to tackle.

As for the parts kit, assuming that mechanically they are good, you might be able to save a few bucks and have a shooters grade AK. Making one of these nice will likely take more time and effort than it would be worth unless you enjoy doing the builds, considering you probably won't be saving $150 bucks over one that isn't rusted up. I personally don't have the time or desire to make one of these nice, so I would just simply spend the extra money up front.

21. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Full recievers, which are 100% ready to go are $55 from the Nodak Spud link I posted earlier. It's not worth it to buy 1 kit and all the tools, I've done a few kits and used a friend's tools who has built a lot of AKs.

This is a good website for a guide:
    http://gunsgutsandgod.com/SBS tutorial.htm

You'll end up saving a lot of time with a 100% NDS receiver as opposed to bending a flat and welding rails, heat treating and whatnot. So ignore the part about the receiver in the guide.

You can do most of the work with a dremel, punch set and a big hammer. You will need some tools to do the rivets too.

People also have build parties where experienced builders will help new guys build up a rifle. As much as I dislike AR15.com you can post in your state's forum to see if anyone is willing to help you with a build. More often than not there are a few AK guys that will let you use their tools and help ya out.

22. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I know how to, I meant basically about the sandblasting, and if I would have to take all the rivits and pins out. I've got some friends who have all the tools. So this might be a way to go.

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Oh ok, Personally I would demill it, build it, sandblast it and then paint it with Moly Resin. I'm not anal about parkerizing under the FSB or each trunnion. You can buy a sandblaster I guess, but if you're only going to use it once it would probably be a lot cheaper to find someone who already has a blasting cabinet. I can't imagine that would be very expensive at all. If you don't have access to a sandblaster, I guess you could take all the rust off with steel wool or a dremel attachment, but that would take forever.

All you really need to do is to make sure all the rust is gone before you paint it with Gunkote, Duracoat, Moly Resin, or whatever your choice of finish is. Here's the last one I did:

Pre-Finishing
    [​IMG]

Finished
    [​IMG]

AKs are pretty easy to clean up. This guys AK went through a fire:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just needs a coat of paint.
    [​IMG]

24. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

father-in-law has a sandblaster.

so you didn't take any of the main pins out before blasting/refinishing? that shit looks great

25. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I just took out the trigger and hammer pins before blasting. Looks like they are still in when I took the picture, guess I hadn't finished disassembling it when I took the pic. All the rivets stay in when I blast them.