Rust on calipers

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by TheMustafa, Dec 3, 2003.

1. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

How do I remove it and prevent it from reappearing? I assume I need to paint them, anyone done this? Do I need to remove the calipers or would it be possible to do this with the calipers still on? any recommendations on paint to use?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

If I was going to paint calipers, I would most definately take them off.

3. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

I painted mine while on the car. About 8-9 months now (no clearcoat) and still goin strong. Pretty much what I used:

Red Engine Enamel
    Clear Engine Enamel (should have used)
    Steel brush
    Plastic Bags
    Simple Green

What I did was pop the wheel off. Used simple green and a mitt to degrease the caliper. Hose off, then use the steel brush to remove most rust and other crap. Hose off and LET AIR DRY. This is important because if you dry with a towel it WILL leave some fibers behind which is no good for a surface to paint on. I used regular shopping plastic bags to cover the rest of the suspenstion and rotor. When dry, I did 3-4 light coats of engine enamel 10-15 mins apart from each other. Let dry, then pop the rim back on. I will respray them in the spring and use the clear to enhance gloss and protection. It is actually really easy to do this. Take ur time though and make sure there is absolutely minimal wind.

[​IMG]
    ^Pic of them now after 8-9 months^

I would reccomend silver or black if you want to be safe. It looks really clean. To clean weekly, spray a lil simple green on the caliper and scrub a little bit with a mitt.

If you need more advice, just post back here...I will check. Good Luck!

4. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

awesome, thank you!

what brands of engine enamel did you use, and where can I get it?

5. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Got mine at a local auto store. Doesn't really matter which brand as long as its engine enamel, but DupliColor has a more even spraying nozzle. Don't get the stuff specifically for calipers. Too expensive and not worth it. Good Luck!