rust in the cooling system...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Kamekaze v.OT, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Kamekaze v.OT

Kamekaze v.OT New Member

So, I bought my wife a 1984 Toyota Supra. It sat for a while... with fluids. [​IMG]
    Anyway, they claimed to have flushed it prior to selling it... but I wasn't expecting too much.

On the drive back down to Austin from dallas (about 200 miles), the temp was okay, just acting wonky. It wouldn't be registering anything, then it would go to normal. But, it didn't overheat. This morning, I started to take apart the cooling system with plans to replace the water pump, the radiator, hoses, thermostat, ect. Anyway, when I took off the thermostat housing the interior of block is pretty rusted. I felt in as far as I could get, and it doesn't seem to go far back. It's just towards the front of the thermostat housing. Honestly, I don't plan on keeping this engine forever, maybe another 6-12 months, so it's not a huge deal. But for now, is there anything that you guys can recommend that would work wonders in flushing out the cooling system?

Also if anybody knows where to order an accelerator cable I could use one, toyota is a bit on the pricey side for them...

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

If it's just a normal steel cable, what kind of attachments are there for it, you might be able to just cut up a e-brake cable and use that (what I did for my car).

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It sounds like the prior owner ran it on tap water, because distilled water isn't corrosive -- especially after it's been boiled a few times and all the air is driven out of it. An acid flush might be in order, to clean out the rust. Vinegar works well. Just remember to flush the hell out of the system afterwards; you don't want any acid remaining in the system. Then use proper antifreeze coolant, because it has rust inhibitors that water and/or Redline don't have.

With a car like that, I think I'd rather buy Toyota parts. You want it to run well; it is a Supra after all. And Toyota didn't build its reputation on building cars out of crappy parts.

4. Kamekaze v.OT

Kamekaze v.OT New Member

Im most likely going to use toyota for most anything not aftermarket, but over $115 for a cable is a little too much for my blood. What type of flush would you recommend?

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

This method works; you can also get bicycle brake cable for super cheap and cut it to length.

And I hear you on OEM Toyota pricing. They aren't any different for MR2 parts.