GUN Russian navy captures armed Somali pirates

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Feb 13, 2009.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Russian navy captures armed Somali pirates
    http://www.france24.com/en/20090213-russian-navy-captures-10-somali-pirates-
    Friday 13 February 2009
    [​IMG]
    A Russian cruiser has captured three pirate boats off the coast of Somalia and have detained ten pirates who were found armed with grenade launchers, automatic rifles and landmines on board.

A Russian nuclear-powered cruiser has captured 10 Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean armed with grenade launchers, automatic rifles and landmines, a navy spokesman said Friday.

"The nuclear cruiser Pyotr Veliky has detained three small pirate boats," said Igor Dygalo, adding that 10 armed men of Somali citizenship were seized in the operation Thursday.

The pirates had been spotted by the cruiser's helicopter southeast of the Yemeni island of Socotra in the Indian Ocean, the spokesman told AFP.

"It was visually established how weapons were being dumped from the boats into the sea," Dygalo said in a separate statement.

He added that the navy managed to confiscate grenade launchers, automatic rifles, landmines and 500 grammes of a "narcotic substance," among other things.

The news of the Somali pirates' detention comes as the crew of a Ukrainian ship captured by Somali pirates arrived home at Kiev airport on Friday after a 19-week hijacking ordeal.

The MV Faina, released last week, docked Thursday in Mombasa with its exhausted crew of 17 Ukrainians, two Russians and one Latvian and controversial cargo of tanks and munitions.

The Russian military prosecutors were now investigating the pirates' case adding it would be then up to the Russian foreign and justice ministries to determine their fate.

----

What does one do with landmines at sea?

I don't think I want to be a pirate anymore if it involves the risk of russian captivity.

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

LOL my comments exactly.

3. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Take hostage, beat and threaten, then take landmine and sit them on it, if they move, BOOM. if someone moves them, BOOM. maybe have traps rigged up, landmine behind a door or some such shit, you open/close door and lamine goes off. just a few thoughts :o

4. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

Landmines make perfect IED's.

I am still dumb founded in how people can't see the obvious correlation between gun rights and these incidents.

People cruising along unarmed, get held up by armed men.
    Maritime law says "No guns". Why aren't the armed men abiding?

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

IED's dont really work that well on sea either. Not like you can setup a tripwire on water

6. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

They do if you're trying to blow open a locked hatch/door. If more boats were armed piracy would nearly disappear. The boats would just increase their firepower and band together when passing through.

You know how pleasure sailors get through now? They group up, at least 7-8 and preferably more, and hope numbers will scare away the pirates. Numbers only count if you have a means to fight back...

7. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

You know how easy it is to hide a gun on a boat?

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can't arm merchant ships, because then they become military ships.

The global economy relies on open borders. Open borders only work when you can be fairly certain that nobody is rolling up in your harbor with an arsenal, ready to go.

9. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

A mine is going to blow up alot more than just a door, most land mines have KZ of 25-50m

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I don't see pirating to be a profitable venture for much longer. Given who's patrolling the waters now, I imagine once a couple pirates come back home sans limbs it will put a damper on everyone else's fun.

I'm still down to go pirate the pirates though. Shit would be fun.

11. I want to be an anti-pirate sniper.

12. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

I want to pirate pirates! i've always wanted... whatever this is..... thanks hakduhl and yimbalaway, i'll put these... rusty Ak's and questionable looking hand genades to... good.... use?:rofl:

13. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I'm sure everyone obeys this. I don't go to the gas station without a gun, why would anyone sail 1000+ miles without one?

14. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

Yes I do, actually. Most cruisers only have a shotgun, though. Maybe a handgun as well. Better than nothing, but a pump with 7 slugs vs. 8 AK's doesn't do too well. Maybe if they had yar on board...:hs:

I have always figured when I go cruising(if I ever can) I want to bring the shotgun of course, but also a semi-auto .30 caliber rifle, maybe a FAL. Downside is if customs in many countries find it you're f**ked.

Likely true on overkill, just throwing a possible idea out. Who knows what they planned on using them for.

15. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I thought you could go out and fire a machine gun in the middle of the ocean as long as you don't harm anyone.

I'm not even being sarcastic, I didn't think maritime law had any provisions about firearms since all countries have different laws.

16. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

I think it was mentioned earlier about arming merchant vessels turns them into military vessels.

I'm not sure on how it all works though.

17. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

in Russia you take pirates hostage

18. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

I'm not aware of the specific "arming the merchant ships" thing making them military vessels, but the UN has claimed sovereignty over the world's oceans. The seas are no longer free. As for the machine gun in the ocean thing, that's fine as long as the country you return to doesn't mind that you have a machine gun on board. Or you hide it, and hope you don't end up in PMITA penitentiary.

Globalism is awesome!:wtc::wtc:

19. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I didn't think international law restricted individual handheld weapons on board (shotguns, rifles, handguns). National laws when you pulled into a foreign port would be the problem in this case.

A permanently mounted weapon of some sort (think cannon or crew-served weapon system) is where the problems begin as far as international/maritime law is concerned.

20. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

The foreign port issue was what I was talking about with small arms.

As for the international maritime law, once you have to ask permission you don't have the right. It's only a matter of time, IMO, before small arms become an issue on the open sea. I was unaware of the permanently mounted distinction, though. Good to know.