Running Windows on a Macbook...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GunboatDiplomat, Dec 12, 2006.

1. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

I'm in the market for a laptop computer and, sadly, the best bang for my buck that I can find appears to be the Macbooks. Now, I was wondering how much success people have had running Boot Camp on their Macbooks.

Personally, I would like to remove the MacOS X partition altogether and exclusively run MS Windows on my Macbook. I understand that this may not be possible and would be interested in knowing what the minimum partition size for my MacOS installation may be with Boot Camp.

So, does anyone care to share their thoughts or experiences?
    Thank you...

2. samm

samm Next in Line

Why do you want to remove the Mac OS X partition?

3. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I just got a Macbook Pro and sorta thought I would want to do the same thing - primarily run windows. But after trying it out a bit, I realize the ONLY time I'll have the slightest need to boot windows is to run Solidworks.

Especially with the new version of Parallels, which can boot a virtual machine off your bootcamp partition and run windows apps transparently on your OSX desktop. :bowdown:

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I use Parallels on my iMac to boot Windows, and I can't even tell you when I last used it. If all you want is to run Windows, you might just want to buy a PC laptop.

5. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I'm installing Vista on a bootcamp partition right now and apparently the new Parallels beta will allow you to run your bootcamp OS in a virtual machine... so I'll give that a try. Mostly just for fucking around though.

6. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

I do want to just buy a PC laptop except that I can't find a good one for a decent price. As my original post said, the appears that the MacBook could very well be the best bang for my buck.

I've considered just using the Parallels beta but there is so much Windows specific software that I want to run that it just seems to make more sense to simply run Windows...

7. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

dbman, im curious how the vista install went on the bootcamp partition. i want to do the same thing, but wanted to research it before i wasted my time. hows it working??

8. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

what do you mean by transparently ? Does you actually see the widnows programs on your windows OSX or you have a virtual window which you have to go to in order to use the windows applications

9. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

macbook is def not the bang for the buck if you just want to use windows... you can easily get a good dell laptop online with some discount coupons.......

kind of useless to buy a macbook and just windows

10. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

In the current beta release of Parallels, you can turn on "coherence" mode, which essentially makes the windows desktop disappear, the XP taskbar can be placed on the OSX desktop (or hidden), and XP application windows are treated like OSX application windows. It shares your network connection, and even the clipboard is persistent (I can copy from a Mac application and paste into an XP application).

Example: I like to use Newsleecher for usenet downloading and have not yet found an agreeable substitute that is made for mac. Easy enough:

[​IMG]

11. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

12. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Ha...what a huge waste of money.

13. kev-89t

kev-89t OT Supporter

I'm thinking of getting a macbook in the next few days and I'm just wondering how hard it is to get windows installed on a macbook.....and if say my old laptop which died had xp how hard would it be to instal a "free" copy of xp using my old computers code for verification?

14. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

not sure how to respond to this

you can get a dell with a much better graphics card than the macbook's for less probably

i love my macbook, but i don't know why you'd want to totally get rid of osx, seems like such a waste of a macbook

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Heh...there's a guy who works for the company we hired to run our WAN who has a MacBook running Solaris. He loves it; everybody else thinks he's a little odd.