Running/Walking Questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by LovEyDuBB, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LovEyDuBB

LovEyDuBB OT Supporter

I just finished a weight training class in school and started to love being in shape. It makes me feel great and healthy. I signed up for a Team Sports class as an easy class for senior year and it turned out to be a weight lifting class.

We did, Front & Back Military Press, Bench Press, Squat, Power Clean, Dead Lift, Hang Clean, Leg Press, Power Runner, Calf Raises, Step Ups, Leg Extensions, Incline Press, Hammer Curls, etc

Anyways.. when I started to run again.. the part circled in the picture is the part that really hurts. It hurts so much that I have to stop and hobble my way back home. My friend says my tendon is messed up and I should just rest it a bit. I did that but it didn't help a bit. I hope you guys might know more about my problem and how to fix it.
    [​IMG]

And about the walking. My mother says that walking can make you lose weight, but what i see is that she occasionally walks and does it really slowly. Do you guys have any advice for my mom?

2. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

That's almost certiainly shin spints. Fill up a Dixie cup with water and stick in the freezer. When you're done running and you feel the pain, rub the Dixie cup up and down on the inside of your shin bone, peeling off the cup as the ice melts. Do that for 20-30 minutes. Run slower and less often until the pain goes away completely.

Along with a decent diet, walking can help you lose weight. If she doesn't see results and she eats well, she should pick up the pace a little bit. Walking too slowly will not elevate your heart rate to the point where weight loss becomes possible.

3. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

Are you wearing the correct type of shoes? You look extremely flat footed and need a wider type of shoe. The correct shoes can make a world of difference.

4. LovEyDuBB

LovEyDuBB OT Supporter

i'm wide footed and flat footed..

i wear k*swiss classics.. i dont know.. they worked well for me in the past but recently after doing so many calf raises and squats it hurts to run a lot..

i think i should invest in one of those things that goes in the shoes..

thx for the replies guys

5. Rummy

Rummy "bored and extremely dangerous"

if I was up your ass you'd know where I was
    orthotics

I just got some made to combat my knee pain. They're like 370 bucks or so to have some custom made by a podiatrist. Don't bother with the junk you can buy in a store.

6. elysium

elysium New Member

Some decent shoes will go a long way. Kswiss are not made to run in. Go invest in a decent pair of running shoes it might help to get rid of hte shin splints. Look at brands like asics and new balance. and if you go to a higher end running store they will usually analyze your foot or stride and see what shoe is best for you. its worth it if it gets rid of the shin splints

7. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

yeah.. im wide/flat footed to.... horrible combination, people say i have duck feet.

8. gjames6969

gjames6969 New Member

I'm really wide footed, but have a great arc too. Never had shin splints before, maybe you're trying too much weight with the calf raises?

9. LovEyDuBB

LovEyDuBB OT Supporter

i think that is the culprit.. i guess my current plan is to buy new shoes and get iced

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.