Running vs walking to burn fat only...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Perfect Speed, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed OT Supporter

Ok, so I was previously (up until yesterday) Doing intervals on the treadmill, as follows...
    2 min warm-up at 40% of max speed
    1 min 50% of max
    1 min of 100% max
    1 min of 50% max
    1 min of 100% max
    etc (usually 6-8 cycles of above... hitting 100% 6-8 time I mean)
    and then 5 mins of cooldown at 40%
    all of this at about 2.5% incline
    This would keep my heart rate at about 180bpm (according to the treadmill) while running at 100% and about 155 when walking at 50%.
    I was having ok results with this...

However a friend of mine who was cutting down suggested to do walking at about 60% of max speed and just jacking up the incline (4.5-5.5%) to keep my heart-rate at about 70-75% of max. Which would be about 135-145bpm and then instead of being on the treadmill for about 16-18 mins (not including cooldown) to be on the treadmill for 25-35 mins (not including cooldown). His reason was that at the higher bpm I'm burning not only fat but muscle as well... and if I just keep the bpms lower for longer it'll only burn fat.

If it matters, I'm 23, weigh about 265-270, and am 6'1 tall and have probably more than 20% body fat, haven't checked how much tho exactly.

So the question is, is he right and which should I continue with? Which is more likely to burn fat only and not lose muscle (which is what I want)

Thanks

2. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

KISS

Jesus you're over-complicating it. Get on treadmill and walk for 45 minutes at an incline.

3. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

i would do what ever one you will stick with.

4. Perfect Speed

I have no problem with sticking with either. Obviously as far as running goes, it's a little easier to walk but I'll stick with whichever I get better results with.

And I know I included a lot of info but if I didn't everyone will be like "details are overwhelming" and bitch and whine about how they can't give an answer without knowing more. So I posted ALL of it.

5. Perfect Speed

After reading another forum (one devoted entirely to fitness) and asking this same question on it - Here's the Answer I got...

6. knucks

knucks Active Member

I've had success with both low-intensity walking and HIIT..do whichever you want and see what works better :dunno:

I can't really say which worked better for me..with HIIT I also used ephedrine when I was cutting..with the low intensity I did it w/o any other supplements.

With low intensity I guess I didn't sweat as much so I felt I was getting less done

7. Perfect Speed

This is how I felt so it was why I asked the question basically.
    With my calculations I should be at 138-148 BPM while on the treamill... running makes that simply too high.
    So walking (even tho it takes longer) is ideal.
    I take Meltdown as a supplement now and I'm looking for something thats NOT ephedra to take with it to help me burn off the fat. Haven't had much luck tho.

8. knucks

knucks Active Member

I think anything besides ephedrine is shit, try to get some of that stuff...

9. PianoProdigy

PianoProdigy Better than most at most things OT Supporter

I'd just like to point out that there are lots of fat people who walk on the treadmills and very few that jog/run...food for thought. Oh, and if you're walking on the treadmill, don't hold on to the freakin railings/display. About half the people in my gym who are "fast walking" do so on an incline while holding on to the display in front of them which pretty much negates the whole purpose and probably cuts your calorie expenditure in half.

On yet another note, I've pretty much "transformed" my body from 185 lbs no muscle to 165 lbs and fairly lean with a decent build by doing almost no cardio and just eating better and lifting. I've just now begun doing a bit of HIIT in the morning since I've begun taking the ECY stack and it seems it's recommended to do some cardio on an empty stomach with the CY in the mornings.

Rambling, I know, but bottom line: Diet >= Lifting >>>> Cardio

Just my opinion sharing personal experience. I'm by no means the most cut, the biggest, or the strongest here, but I'd venture to guess that most people on this board are looking to do something like what I've done: look better. I'm just trying to share how I did it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  10. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Nice transformation (and use of lighting :mamoru: )
    What was the time period for that?
    Also, Diet + lifting > *

11. Mass

Mass Active Member

12. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

Cardio is good for you whether it is running, biking, elliptical, swimming, etc. At that height, weight, you are trying to shed pounds and get in shape so I don't care what a broly says, you should do cardio.

Now what kind of cardio is what you are asking. I prefer to run because I like the physical exertion. I don't go crazy and try to marathon but a few mles is nice. For you though, the quick answer is that 18 minutes just plain isn't good enough no matter what you are doing. You need to find something you can do for at the very least 30 minutes, and 45 + at your weight would be really nice too. 15-20 minutes just isn't going to work.

13. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

If you want to burn fat the most efficient way is very short interval run/walk or sprint/jog. Short intervals of 9-12 seconds was found to be significantly better than 30+ second intervals and just walking or running. I don't have the source as it was several years ago. I lost a lot of weight doing this combined with not eating footlong meatball subs.

14. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

At your weight i would NOT be jogging.

15. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

:werd:

At your gym, get on an elliptical machine. Turn it to hills/intervals. Turn it to a good high setting. Make sure that you have the time set to 45 minutes. Do this for at least 2-3 months and see your progress from there.

16. Perfect Speed

Basically I'll add to this...
    I DO indeed weight train too... I don't want anyone to get the idea I don't.
    Eliptical isn't working for me... hurts my knees WAY more than they do on the treadmill... my friend who I work out with suggested it was because my legs are too long for the eliptical there, ie they don't have a big enough swing.

I am going to be going with a combo...
    I'm gonna start going for 30-45 mins on the treadmill, decent incline with it.
    I figure I'll do walking at 70-75% of max heartrate, and then sprint every 3-5 mins or so.
    Figure it'll cover all the bases and keep the heartrate up.

17. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

got 6 of 'em at my gym.

i'm thinking its the best form of cardio there is.

18. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

[​IMG]+[​IMG]=Kill me

19. PianoProdigy

PianoProdigy Better than most at most things OT Supporter

I didn't even post my "good" lighting one (see below), lol. Those pictures are like 4 years apart. I actually looked worse than that when I started lifting about 2.5 years ago and then have been pretty dedicated for the last 18 months or so. This picture was taken a few months ago.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.