running tips please......please i beg you

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by apman0000, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

ok the quick run down:

I'm the worst runing retard newb on the planet so any advice would help.

6'3" 280 pounds - was 380 pounds

lift 4 days a week
    cardio 4 days a week 40-60 minutes bike after lifting

I want to add in some running but have awful lung capacity and cardio level sux in general.

is it better to walk a minute jog a minute and so on for a longer period of time or to jog as far as possible until totally spent, or some other option? i want to build cardio health and endurance, concentration isn't on weight loss with this one, i just don't want a heart attack.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  2. 777

777 New Member

start off by walking to get your knees used to it and ready for the shock of running. I don't imagine 280 lbs is good for your knees if you just start running distance....

3. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

I'd suggest swimming, should be easier on your body.

4. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

If your trying to lose weight, run.

Iv posted this before, but i find it best to set yourself a distance target (3 miles would be perfect), and work on improving your time every session.

Even if you need to walk after every 30 seconds of running, just keep trying to run for that 5 seconds longer, and improve your time.

It will motivate you to succeed. But make sure you run the same track every day and time it.

5. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

When I ran Cross Country I was always told to run for 30mins. This applied to runners of every skill level. It didn't matter if you could do 5k in 15minutes or in 1hr. Run 30mins a day 5 days a week (at first you might have to go every few days due to massive soreness). My coach always explained it as you get the best work out at about 30mins, any less you won't see improvements and if you want to do more go ahead, just don't injur yourself.

Once you "plateau" then it is time for other training. For me this worked great, I went from being barely able to finish 5k (I almost passed out the first time), to being one of the fastest runners by the end of the season.

IF YOU READ ANY OF MY POST, THIS IS IMPORTNAT!
    AVOID running on Concrete, Roads, Sidewalks, etc... it will destroy your knees. If you can always run on dirt, grass, or a "sponge" track. After 4 years of running on sidewalks and roads, I destroyed my knees (I actually stress fractured them multiple times), and its been over a year and I'm just able to walk around and jog w/o massive pain.

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

thanks for the replies, they are appreciated

i do have some knee probs but they are old injuries (about 12-14 years ago) I am able to run on a nice track near my house.

hopefully i won't be posting a call for help on my sore knees lol

7. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Honestly, I don't recommend running at your weight at all. I notice a gigantic increase in injuries for myself personally if I try to start running at 170 vs. 150.

You really would do a ton better to walk and use indoor cardio equipment to start off with. However, if you really want to give it a go- yes, go for the run for a minute, walk for a minute or two, rinse and repeat. Don't run on concrete, whatever you do- track, grass or trail only. Go get fitted for some good, new running shoes and get some good socks. Good luck :)

8. Drewski

Drewski New Member

back when I trained to tryout for the university football team, I started to run (when I was about 300lbs) to get my endurance up. I did the walk/run method and it worked great for me. I think I stared at a run:walk ratio of about 1:2 and and slowly worked the run time up and walk time down and by the end of the summer I was able to run a couple of K non-stop. Never head much of an injury problem, but thats not to say it won't happen to you. But some low impact gym cardio might be a better start just in case.

oh, and +100000 on a good pair of running shoes

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i need higher impact, the bikes and shit just don't do it anymore. 280 isn't that big, just asking what the most efficeint ways may be to build cardio endurance by running. my knees are shit, have been shit and will always be shit so a little pain can be expected.

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Stairmaster work quite well I think. There's also the elliptical. You better stick to HIIT though. 3-4x 20 min of HIIT per week leads to more fat loss than the same frequency of steady state cardio while improving cardiovascular capacity more.
    You can aim at a 2:1 ratio for now (twice the amount of recovery phase), somewhere between 10-15 min, and the high intensity interval can be somewhere between 15 sec to 1 min, as long as you keep going the fastest you can according to the time you're aiming.

11. ChicaBella

ChicaBella Guest

Not necessarily. Running will take him to the anaerobic state. If he needs to burn fat, he might want to try walking first. It all depends on his goals.

12. ChicaBella

ChicaBella Guest

How much endurance do you want to build? Are you looking to do marathons or other enduro sports?

13. ChicaBella

ChicaBella Guest

The good news is, endurance is not difficult to build - and quickly so - with the right training schedule. You will need to integrate the weekly long run with your daily schedule.

14. ChicaBella

ChicaBella Guest

It depends on his fitness level, heart rate etc.....novice runners typically exceed the aerobic state.

15. Hebrew Hammer

Hebrew Hammer Resident Jew goalie OT Supporter

16. Elfling

Elfling New Member

You just need to work harder with what you've got, imo. Look into interval training, you don't have to run to do intervals on cardio machines.

17. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Uh...no.

Intense sprinting may be anaerobic. A 280 pound man jogging in 1 minute intervals is not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.