Running subs in winter, or not?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Nov 22, 2004.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Well, I live in MN, and it can get pretty cold in the winter, and I was wondering if that will be a problem running my subs in sub zero temps.

I was going to order my sub at some point soon, but if it's a bad idea to run them in the winter, I'll save my money and buy them this summer. My main concern is that I don't want to damage/crack the sub or anything, if thats possible. Any advice?

2. 04

04 Guest

Well, most automotive subwoofers are designed to work in pretty hot or cold conditions. I'd say you should be fine running them in cold weather. IMO the best bet though would be to contact the manufacturer and see what the lowest temperature they reccomend them being exposed to.

3. StealthMode

Ok, I'll do that tomorrow. I remember someone saying something about letting them warm up first at lower volumes before cranking them up so you don't crack them. Does that sound about right?

4. 04

04 Guest

That may help, but I'd imagine that letting them warm up probably wouldnt be necessary. That would really depend on how the suspension of the speaker reacts to really cold temperatures. It couldnt hurt to let it warm up a bit though, even if it doesnt make a difference.

5. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 Guest

i've live in minnesota they should be fine unless ... well dont let to much snow by them

6. StealthMode

Thats not a problem, my trunk doesn't have any holes in it ;)

7. KingChorizo

KingChorizo Guest

That's exactly what I was going to suggest to you. Don't slam the hell outta your Subs in low temps right off the bat. Start with the low casual listening and then slowly work them up to Full Volume.

8. StealthMode

Yea, thats what the ID Tech said, just warm them up first and I'll be alright. So I guess I'll be getting my sub sooner now :cool: Now if I could just afford the fucker...

9. Maverick

Maverick Guest

Also make sure the interior of your car is warmed up. Condensation in cold temperatures is kindof a problem for car electronics.

10. The_otherguy

The_otherguy New Member

I ran a pair of jl w3 15's in a ported box in winter with no problem at all, it might have helped that they where in a hatchback so the heat got to the back of the car I cranked it up right away and they are still working even after i sold them. warming them up only affects the voice coil, the part that would most likely get damaged is the cone and surround its self since foam and rubber gets stiff when its cold. just me 2 cents