Running spikes question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by mikey d uk, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikey d uk

mikey d uk OT Supporter

This is one of those topics where you dont know if anybody will be able to help, but OT usually comes through so i'll give it a shot.

Basically, I play pro paintball and at the first major tournament of the year, they decided to change the turf we play on from a pretty long synthetic grass to much shorter astroturf type stuff. I was using football boots (soccer cleats?) with blades/moulded grips and although I didn't suffer as bad as some who fell right on their ass, I was slipping everywhere. Short plastic grass + paintballs = slippy

So my question is, im after a pair of running spikes which is simple enough, however metal spikes are banned incase you somehow fuck up the equipment or some shit.

Does anybody know of any rubber/plastic spikes or a similar product which will fit running spikes? I have seen golf shoes with them, but I need something to be able to sprint in.
    Or even does anybody know of any spikes with the same thread as golf shoes, in which case it'll be an easy transition.

Hopefully somebody can help as I have a week to sort out something to play in and not fall on my face like a gimp :hs: :x:

2. MP18

MP18 New Member

with most track spikes the metal spikes are there in combination with molded plastic forefoot that has spike-type structures build into it, for what you are doing this structure may be enough to provide the traction you need

otherwise i would look online to search for alternatives to metal spikes and see if you can't get something rush delivered...it doesn't seem like that type of specialty item would be available in general sporting good stores...i'd check there to see if golf spikes are compatible with your track spikes as well

3. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

wait... metal spikes are banned?

if it's short plastic grass you're playing on, get some turf shoes (soccer) or indoor soccer shoes

i had a pair of nike indoor shoes and they sucked on carpet, but they were great on turf and hardwood

4. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

[​IMG]

made for astroturf and really hard natural ground

5. mikey d uk

mikey d uk OT Supporter

Like I said - Short plastic grass + paintballs = slippy :hs:
    metal spikes would be perfect as they would dig into the surface

Astro's weren't working or studded boots, only variants of spikes gave a good grip every time. We're currently waiting on one of our sponsors to get these spikes ready for us with custom soles for golf spikes, but I dont want to be going to this event hoping they are there, as I just know they wont be :o

I'll have to visit a few stores on the way home and see what size the golf spike threads are, and try and fix something :sad2:

6. PepsiMax

PepsiMax New Member

If it is actual field turf and not astro turf, getting a high quality football cleat would be the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.