Running Questions...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Drifter87, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I feel I am a seasoned runner, been doing long distance running since I was 14, currently 18 now.

I was getting horrible shin splints, so I bought new high end running shoes and took a week off from running.
    Did 5 miles just fine, next day, after ~1mile, I couldn't walk from the pain in the lower part of my legs.

In the past I would get knee pains from osgood slaughters disease, put I pretty much grew out of it. I do have flat feet, but I got orthotics, ones made for running and they are farely new and still fit me like a glove.

Any ideas? Could it be the running on the pavement? Am I not giving myself enough time to rest (use to run 3.2 miles 4x a week in HS)? Is it I just started increasing my running to quickly from being stuck inside on a treadmill due to crappy weather?

2. Drifter87

I guess no one really runs?

3. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

elliptical is your answer

4. xela

xela So say we all!

Pavement is really hard. Try finding a track to run on or a treadmill. I run on concrete sidewalks and I do okay, but it was painful at first.

5. MSF

MSF New Member

Make sure you're getting enough electrolytes. I had a similar problem a few years ago. When I was running I was fine, but afterward I couldn't walk for a few hours because my lowers legs ached like a motherfucker. I started drinking gatorade and eating bananas pretty regularly and after 5 or 6 days I didn't have the problem anymore.

6. Drifter87

Doctor said to get New Balance 700+ I have 766 and he approved, and they worked great in the past.

Past 4 weeks I ran 3miles on a tread mill 2x a week, maybe 4 times total outside (weather is shitty in rochester). I tend to run into mostly up hills and very few down hills (1 steep down hill and 2 slight down hill).

When I did go outside when the weather was nice this past week, Monday 3Mi, Wens 5Mi, Fri ~1Mi (trying to do 3Mi).

When I hurt myself, I iced. I stretched out completely. I really don't strength train my legs... I never have due to my knee problem (which is nearly gone, apparently you grow out of it).

I think what did it, was Thursday night someone stole my keys and I chased after them full speed w/o my shoes fully tied and w/o stretching (Friend just reminded me now)

7. nobody

nobody New Member

i would say it's a combination of two things primarily
    1) treadmills are designed to absorb a lot of the impact from your running - concrete and pavement are not. try running on the grass if you're running in residential areas, but make sure to watch out for holes that you can roll your ankle on
    2) you may have increased your mileage too quickly. as a general rule when you are just starting to run, whether it be for the first time ever or first time in the season, run by time. for example, do 10 minutes out and 10 minutes back, and don't even measure your distance. maybe once a week do a longer run or so, but don't increase your running by more than 10% a week. for the math impaired:
    week1 - 150 minutes total
    week2 - 165 minutes total
    week3 - 182 minutes total
    and so on
    and until your body has adapted itself, give yourself at least one day a week completely off.

and although i haven't tried it, i would encourage you to take in more electrolytes. and protien is always a good idea for a post run routine.

edit: and :werd: on the osgood slaughters - that bothered me for the better part of a decade. i've grown out of it now, though. thank goodness.

8. Drifter87

Alright that sounds like a good plan for me to try out. I eat a ton of food a day and take protien suppliments... so I should be fine there.

Yes Osgood Slaughters is a bitch, I'm nearly over mine... I get minor pain at best these days.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I will measure my time instead of miles for now, until I'm ready to go back.

9. xela

xela So say we all!

Try getting your protein from food too. There are a lot of good protein bars out there and protein shakes. I've noticed a drastic change in my body once I started eating my weight in protein like everyone here suggest.

10. xela

xela So say we all!

:werd: They might be good shoes, but not for you. Everyone was raving about the new Asic Keyanos, but I tried them on and they just aren't the best shoe for me.

11. nobody

nobody New Member

nikes have always fit my feet really well. i initially got them in 8th grade because they were nike but stuck with them because they just work for me. i've always been curious about new balances, but i'm just a little uneasy about trying out some shoes when the ones i have work so well, you know?

and that was completely off topic....

12. xela

xela So say we all!

I haven't had good luck with New Balances.

13. Drifter87

The day I got New Balance, the pain in my legs was great reduced. The doctor watched me walk in them, and I was walking straight, no pronating.

For the protien part... I eat a lot of food, but I still drink a protien shake... I a few pounds left to go of a 10lbs bag...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.