Running question.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Sandlapper, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandlapper

Sandlapper Nothing is Finer, than Carolina!

So I'm an out of shape bastard. I haven't ran/worked out in a LONG time. Well, the other day I decided to get my ass on the treadmill. I started out with a fast walk and proceeded into jogging. Not to far in the muscles on the outer edge of both of my legs got really tight to the point that I couldn't keep going. What the hell was that? It hurt like a mofo, and while I wanted to keep going I had to stop. Any ideas to keep this from happening?

2. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Warm up more before you run.

Did you have plenty of water before hand?

3. UncleJohn

UncleJohn "That guy"

strech

4. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Stretching isn't really necessary (before you run). You can stretch AFTER you run. It is only important to make sure your muscles are warmed up well enough before you run.

5. hewmanbing

hewmanbing your mom is hot.

:ugh:

6. bclimn

bclimn New Member

the pain happens to runners that take months off from running. generally the first couple runs will suck but at the 4th and 5th runs it will get easier.Hydrate, stretch, warmup, run, cooldown, stretch, hydrate. Thats what every team I was on did for the most efficiant results.

7. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Sorry guy, I've been running since you were in elementary school and I'd easily run your ass into the ground on a 7 mile run.

8. toconnx

toconnx New Member

Yep, I'll back it, that is absolutely correct. I've been a runner for several years (long and middle distance) and stretching is absolutely unneccesarry, but calistenics and/or some slow jogging is absolutely necessary to warm up your muscles before a hard run.

It sounds like dehydration and improper warming up to me, when I was taking creatine during the track season I was underhydrated for a while when I started and my muscles tightened really badly after several miles of running, and also from personal experience you can experience muscle tightness / pulls much more easily during a difficult run without warming up. Best of luck, don't give up.

9. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

:werd:

worked great for me

btw I never stretch before cardio, always stretch after, ymmv

10. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I have read that ALL over, and some material stated that stretching is pointless and a waste of time, some say before, and some say after

know what works for me is stretching BEFORE and AFTER .. which a lot of people will say is a waste, but I stretch before because it helps loosen my joints, sitting at an office for 8 hours then running dosen't work wel for me, and after to help it cool down

spending 5 minutes, might seem like a waste to some, it dosen't to my injury free ass

11. bclimn

bclimn New Member

stretching is a personal preference... theere is data supporting both... from Men's Health

12. hewmanbing

is that right? how many marathons have you run there, sport?

don't assume shit, though I suppose this IS the internet.. my fastest mile is 4:34, fastest 5K is 14-FLAT, and I have run my fair share of marathons. I wouldn't doubt I've got a few THOUSAND miles on you bud. :ugh2:

13. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Nah, all I have to do is look at your reaction to sound advice to KNOW that you have no clue.

14. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I'm stayin outa this but ahhh - i just wanted to point out that you claim your best mile time is 4:34, yet the mile pace of a 14 flat 5k is about 4:29. Hmmm.

15. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

Homosexual thread.

16. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

It's too early to do this math, but if this is true
    :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl: :Owned: :bowrofl:

if it's not, proceed

17. shawn4element

shawn4element OT Supporter

oh snap

18. hewmanbing

:rofl: I meant to type 15 flat... but let the bashing continue, especially since I just bumped it :hsugh:

in for owning :noes:

19. Sandlapper

Sandlapper Nothing is Finer, than Carolina!

Thanks for the serious replys. I'm guessing that it was a combination of not warming up enough and dehydration. I had been drinking the night before so I'm sure I wasn't as hydrated as I should be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.