Running/Marathon Questsions?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by romostud22, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

Any of you brollies ever do a marathon?

I just found out that there is a marathon in Portland coming up here in October. I was thinking of how awesome it would be if I could do it. Because October will be my 1 year anniversary since I began lifting. I did some research online and I found these articles, what do you guys think?:

http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_longr.html
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/117436/a_beginners_guide_to_preparing_for.html
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/143.shtml

My Log:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3981672

I was just wondering:
    • is 5 months enough time to train?
    • based on my current info, what do you guys think?
    • do you recommend it all?
    any input/comments are welcome guys!

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I ran a half marathon in HS. It sucked.

Started training in July I think, maybe earlier.

No, I do not recommend it at all but it is nice to be able to say you did it. :dunno:

3. synthetic

synthetic New Member

4. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

My buddies dad who has pretty much the same build and body fat as timber runs triathlons but he lost about 5 pounds of lean mass training for his first one.

I'd like to try at least one in my life time just to say I did it but I'm going to wait until I'm completely comfortable taking a mass hit. Probably after I man up and take my first cycle.

5. synthetic

synthetic New Member

no need to worry about mass/strength as so long as you maintain a properly timed diet..... i usually up the carbs + 100-200g on weekdays running days aside from my regular diet, and more for the weekend long runs

6. Frazz

Frazz New Member

properly train for a marathon you need 4-5 months for a whole marathon, that is if you already run 3-4 miles everyother day. if you dont you will need another few weeks to gradualy get up to that.
    http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_mile.html
    ^ there is a training schedule i've been pointed to by ironmen... so i would believe its the best.

I wouldn't recommend running a marathon if you idea is to get bigger (its one or the other, not both) especially as a one year anniversary for lifting... that makes absolutely no sense.

personally if you want to get in great shape, in the end prolly just tone up your body, keep most of your strength and still do something most people can honestly say they've never done - run a triathalon. find a shorter one to start (wont take as long to train and easier to start small like the sprint [.5 swim/ 13 bike/ 3 run) works your entire body (upper swimming) lower (biking) and great cardio from all 3.

:dunno: thats just my .02 on the whole thing

once i bulk up and recover from my shoulder surgery i would like to train for an olympic length (.93  swim /24.8  bike/ 6.2  run) triathalon just to say i did it and i love the 3 sports as is...

7. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I'm a pussy :mamoru: i run 28-30 miles a week, and am having trouble on pulling the trigger signing up for a half-marathon.

The full marathon is on my lifes-to-do list.

8. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

Thanks so much!

:/ I don't think I want to cut it that short, because i really have only 16 weeks total to train, and I can't do 5-10k without a problem :/

oh wow, thank you so much! this is what i was looking for. my overall goal by October is to be brollier than I am now seeing show I'm doing a clean bulk starting now till September, and then I'm going to be cutting in September. the run is in early october, and I figured that it would be a good thing to do. I was talking it over with some of my brolly friends and they said it wasn't the best Idea, and that they don't really recomend it.

hmmm. maybe next year for me then. thank you guys all so much for the input. i have something to think about now.

9. Frazz

Frazz New Member

i would say if you goal is to get bigger dont do a marathon. google image search 'marathon runner' .... not a single one has substantial muscle mass - running and lifting are two completely different sports which when done at the same time negates each others progress.

IMO focus on your cut and clean bulk and sometime a few years down the road once you can better maintain the gains you've made go ahead and run one if you so desire, but now is too soon. Goodluck on your first cut :wavey:

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Honestly anyone can run a marathon if they don't have sand in their vagina but if you want to finish in a timely fashion it's going to take some work and you're probably going to lose some mass. Synthetic doesn't seem to agree with this but he doesn't exactly have a ton of mass to lose in the first place. He's lean but not super jacked which is probably why he can do it without losing any. If I trained for it I guarantee I'd lose some.

11. synthetic

synthetic New Member

Depends on your program too... yea for sure you would lose most of your mass as it is built of fast twitch fibers, but I did more of a cross fit program that builds both

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.