Running / Jogging Questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by fahrfrumlosin, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fahrfrumlosin

fahrfrumlosin OT Supporter

I am trying to get back into running on a treadmill and add it to my overall cardio routine as I'm cutting and aiming for overall weight loss. I have been doing elliptical for the past 2 months and have seen some progress, but I really feel overall that running / jogging is a better, more effective overall workout. I am choosing the treadmill because I have access to them at my gym and would like to train there first before running on a track or street.

Maybe about a year ago, I was able to run for somewhat longer periods of time than I do now. What I would do was walk fast 3.5mi/hr for about 2-3 min to warm up, then transition to a jog of 5-5.5mi/hr and do that for a max of 3-5 min (I once maintained this for close to 10min).

My goal is to get back to that record of maintaining 10min and eventually pushing myself to 30 min.

Now to my questions:
    Is 5.5mi/hr for 30min good or should I be faster in the end?
    How do I get back up to my min level of 5mph for 5min interval?
    Any overall advice as to best approach either goal would be good!

As compared to elliptical I get tired much faster running and despite being able to maintain high intensity on elliptical for 30-50min at a time, I am horrific at running.

Thanks!

2. Gildo23

Gildo23 New Member

The best way we've gotten new people into shape in track is you just start by building a base and running for longer periods of time. At this point speed is much less important than duration. Find a comfortable pace and try to keep it for at least 20 mins. Eventually this will become easy, and you can either lengthen the distance or quicken your pace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.