MMA Running hard on the knees

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Rommel, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

I've only recently started running and while it was fine at first now it's fucking killing my knees. I feel like frankenstein and can only run flat flooted (i'm not flat footed).

I did some sprinting in the local park and i usually like to sprint on ball of my foot (front + toes) but my knees just wouldn't have it.

Anyone else have this problem, is it the hardness of the pavement that does this or have i just got bad knees. I never really had a problem with this until now.

2. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

When you're running you put 2-5x your weight on your leg on each step. A light jog would be 2x, while sprinting is more like 5x. A lot of people start having knee problems after running. You probably need some better shoes and better form and could work your legs out at the gym some like with light weight, just for better joint health, but that can only help so much. If you don't have the knees for it, then you just don't heh. I can't run as often anymore. :(

3. It's because you're not used to running. Take it easy and your body will adapt. You're feeling pain because your bones are taking the punishment. They will get stronger over time

4. JustGod

JustGod New Member

I haven't run into any problems with my knees. My shins on the other hand...

5. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

Don't run on the sidewalk or street, run on a track or on the grass. My coach always had me run on a track or around a field, It's so much better for your knees.

6. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Do you have very high quality running shoes?? I used to have lots of trouble with my knees, but I bought a $120 pair of Nike Shox and haven't had any problems since... I'm a cheap bastard in general, but this is not an area I skimp on...

7. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

Nike?:ugh2: Well whatever works for you I guess...
    I'd highly recommend going to a dedicated running store and getting one of the associates to help you find the pair of shoes that best work for you. I myself picked up some Saucony's awhile back for $160 CAD, and they are among the best running shoes I've ever had. Some orthotic insoles might also be needed if you continue to run into problems.

Also, you should work on your running technique. I recently started running again and I found that I had to change how I planted my feet while running and how I pushed off because of my knee problems.

You may also want to consider trying other types of cardio training. I do a bit of running, but also swimming, skipping, etc...

8. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I am not a big Nike fan either, but I run 3-5 miles every morning and buying a pair totally fixed the problems I was having with my knees... My knees used to ache really bad after a long run and they don't any more... I'm not say they are the best or only solution, but if you are using cheap running shoes, then consider upgrading to something better...

Running in the grass can help too but a) I've twisted my ankle before doing this and b) people in my area don't know how to clean up after their pets...

9. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Very valid point! :bigthumb:

10. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

lol, i jump over a local school fence and run in their field :bigthumb:

as for running technique, how do i know the right technique?
    trial and error or are there any resources for this stuff

11. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

In terms of technique there is some very basic stuff like preventing your feet from either stepping outwards or inwards, just straight. Also working on a good heel-toe run, because the heel is where most of the padding is, right?

Try a good running store, in Canada I know we have The Running Room, I'm not sure if it's in the US for workshops and running groups. The internet is always a good resource and there are tons of books out there on running. Do some research and invest in a good pair of shoes.

You might also want to consider taking supplements such as glucosamine/MSM or shark cartilidge. I've been taking the Glucosamine/MSM and I've noticed a difference (yes, it may be psychosomatic). I've heard good things about shark cartilidge, but personally it's morally objectionable to use.

12. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

:dunno: what to tell you. i currently weigh 257lbs and have been jogging for two weeks with no soreness or pain whatsoever in my knees/ankles. either i'm royally trashing them but don't know it yet, or i'm just getting lucky.

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

only time you should run on cement is when you're running up stairs. Try out some better shoes made for running, also try leg strengthening with weights... If you run with proper form you should be lightening the impact by bending your leg with it rather than letting your knee be stiff when your foot lands because that would make your joint absorb the impact which it shouldn't be.

14. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Like most people have already said, track/grass or treadmill, shoes, and fish oil.

I swear by fish oil.

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

you might also want to start taking glucosamine for good measure.

16. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

i think it might be because i'm stuck at a desk all day with my knees bent

it's getting a bit better now but i'll do some research and have a look at some of the thing suggested.