running different capacities of memory in dual channel?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redfred18t, Jan 31, 2008.

1. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Well, I'm wondering if I'm able to run different capacities of memory in dual channel mode without running into any major issues...

It will be 2x1gb and 2x512mb for a total of 3gb.

It is for a Gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l.

I'm a straight up newb when it comes to computers. This will be my first actual build from scratch. I will be using vista 32bit so it's pointless to go w/ 4gb of ram, so I decided to order the configuration I mentioned. So like an idiot, I'm asking if it will work after I ordered it.

anyways, thanks in advance guys

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes that works as long as it's matched pairs. the two pairs don't have to match but the two sticks within the pair do.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

yeah, just run sticks of the same size in the appropriate paired spots.

Gigabyte makes it easy by coloring the RAM slots, just put the same size in the same color

4. Chris

Chris New Member

[​IMG]

one size in red, the other in yellow

5. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Thanks Chris and P047

I ordered the RAM from the same company.. in fact I think they're the same exact part number with the exception of one set being 2x1gb and the other being 2x512mb (same speed, and all that nonsense). When I start the build, I'll just run use the 2x1gb until I know everything is running stable, then I will install the second set. BTW, they're Kingston HyperX memory.. it was one of the pricier memory sets out there, but it seems like its reliable (and also one of the motherboard's "supported" memory")

I'm probably going to be looking on here a lot while I assemble this computer. The most complex thing I've ever done w/ computers was swapping a motherboard over from one case to the other and installing a cpu cooler haha. (a friend of mine put the system together and setup windows and everything)

thanks again guys, I appreciate it!!!!