Running Crew

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ElCidKid, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

I've got really painful shinsplints on my right leg, i strech it out everyday and its still painful to run in almost a week later. anyone have some suggestions to heal my shinsplint.

2. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

how often do you run?

3. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

at least 2 miles everyday for about 3 months now. but i have not been running since i got the shinsplints (last thursday)

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

new shoes with proper arch support. ice that shit down and take ibu

for the ice.

buy the small paper dixie cups, fill them 3/4 with water and freeze a bunch of them. when you are done running, come in and peel the paper back, use the exposed ice to massage your shins with ice

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

or ask Basic101... he can snatch grip pull 525 and runs can run 25 miles at a 6mph pace :rofl:

6. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

jesus, i've got my 2 miles down to about 15 min, but there is no way i could keep that pace for over 4 miles. i've been biking as a replacement to running do you think that is aggrovating the shinsplints? as for shoes i am running in Asics Gel Kiyano (sp) XII's

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

well, I wouldn't bowdown to that, until he posts some proof, its bullshit

8. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

true.

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Running *every* day? No wonder you got shinsplints. Back off to 4-5 days a week, and don't run the same distance every time. Are you running for running itself, or just as cardio?

10. Basic101

Basic101 New Member

Get diffrent running shoes, replace running shoes after 2-3months sooner if you use them alot, also try not to run on concreate if you just started running. And if you have a running store around go them they can recommend you shoes for your stride. That should help them from happening so much.

While doing that strengthen the soleus, and Tibialis Anterior. Work mostly on seated calf raises, and reverse calf raises and that should make your shin splints disappear.

If you have any questions PM me as I will be gone for two weeks and leave in around 30mins *yawns*

11. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Most of it has to do with your shoes.

12. OLBERTMAN

OLBERTMAN OT Supporter

I read somewhere that running shoes are good for about 300 - 400 miles if running on pavement.

I had horrible shinsplints for awhile (do they ever "go away"?) and bought new shoes and took a few days off.

The icing helps as well.

13. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

my track coach used to have us stretch by having us sitdown with a partner, have the partner push your feet toward you while you push your feet out as hard as you can and count to ten, then have them pull your feet out from you while you pull them in and count to ten. i know thats confusing to read but i dont have the name for it and it worked fucking wonders.

14. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

considering you work for the CIA, I'm suprised you can't spell concrete or use commas correctly.

15. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

well i guess thats just more proof how ignorant our government is a huh-huh-huh anybody? allright i crack me up

16. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

Just like everyone has been telling you, it's most likely has to do with your shoes. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes and have one of the employees check out your foot mechanics. I can't remember what type of shoes the Kayano's are (i think they are cushioned), which are mostly for neutral runners, but it may be possible you are an overpronater. if thats the case, you would need a stability shoe. At the store, they'll be able to tell what shoe you need just by watching you run down the sidewalk for a few seconds.

Also, running everyday is probably not the best thing. unless you're an olympic athlete, 4-5 days of running should be your max. also pay attention to the mileage you do every week. you may run 2 miles/7 days a week for a total of 14 miles a week but if you cut your running down to 4 days a week but run 3.5 miles a day, then you're still putting 14 miles a week on your body. so not only do you need to mind the frequency in which you run but also you weekly total mileage. once you get new shoes, tone down your week mileage and start increasing it slowly.

another tip: mix up your running schedule. When i was able to run, i would run 3 days a week and dedicate each day to something different. two days would be endurance runs. one day would be for strength and power work. it helps break up the monotony and may allow for more intense runs without breaking you down as much as much as running as far as you can everyday.

17. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

qft. working the muscles on the front/sides of your shin helped me more than anything. so has ice, contrast showers, constant stretching, massaging ur calf works great too.

i find it's cause the muscles in my calf/lower leg are tight and once i massage the tightness out, shin splints almost dissapear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.