:running crew: what are your tricks to help you run...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hookinitup, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hookinitup

hookinitup OT Supporter

i started running at beginning of last summer and would run atleast once a week with the goal of running a marathon in a year or two. at the end of that season i hit the 5-mile-per-run mark and pretty much didnt do anything the whole winter. This year I started early and hit that 5-mile-per-run mark and was finding it difficult to break. On my run last week I completely broke through that level and felt like I could run forever and ran 7 miles in an hour.

The three days prior to my run I happened to only have one small meal a day (probably dropped weight by a pound or so, but I cant imagine schleping one less pound over 7 miles would have much difference on fatigue). On the day of my run I had a large gatorade an hour or so before I ran. During my run I ran a partially new course that was more hilly than my old course but the hills were less steep than the couple I have on my usual course. So, what do you think contributed to my successful run that day?

edit: usually I run 2 or 3 times a week, but the week that I ran 7miles I had not run for the prior 6 days.

cliffs: I hit a new 7 mile distance record on run. could it be because of me eating less earlier that week, drinking a gatorade before running, or running a new course?

edit: updates in post 21.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. hookinitup

hookinitup OT Supporter

yeah i got the breathing down pretty good...it's all very natural now. good rhythm, control and method.

3. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

The fact that you've been running longer distances before that contributed to your success. If you had tried to run 10 or 12 miles you might not have been successful. Keep slowly increasing the distance you run each time and each time the previous distance will be a little easier.

That being said, I always have trouble running on a full stomach, but not eating enough calories is going to make running longer distances a lot harder. Proper hydration is also important. If you haven't been eating enough or drinking enough your body just won't have enough fuel to continue exercising.

4. hookinitup

hookinitup OT Supporter

Shit...i guzzle water like a camel at a trough after a journey through the desert. Considering the longer distance I now try to cover I am thinking about taking water with me on runs too. as far as eating is concerned i am usually well fed, perhaps overfed, and I always wait atleast 2 hours (usually more) after eating before I run.

the problem with me is that usually...and by usually i mean 99% of the time...i feel tired/fatigued/exhausted during the 2nd mile of the run and fight with every step to complete the distance i set out to cover, which is y i have been stuck at the 5mile mark. mentally i can't fight beyond that and have been unable to do so thus far. I am sure you can appreciate the difficult hurdle this presents, especially since my goal is to run 26miles (a marathon). This past week I did not have this feeling at all and am not too sure what chages may have caused that. I am going to drink a gatorade before my next run to see if that is what it was.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  5. Aequitas

That's what's called the wall, and every runner experiences it at some point. There's physical factors that go into it but a lot of it is mental as well. For me, it happens the worst when I run on a track. I'm constantly looking around the next turn, thinking about how many laps I've done and how many more are left. It makes it a lot harder to run long distances (especially at the indoor track where 10 laps is a mile). To answer your first question, I would say it was the new route that contributed the most to it. It helps to have a change in scenery every once in a while because it helps you to stop focusing on how much is left.

6. hookinitup

hookinitup OT Supporter

I initially thought that might be it too, but the thing is 50% of my run that day was on my old course (the latter half of the run). Do you think the contribution of the new course was as great even with that much of an overlap with the old course?

thanks for your feedback btw.

7. Aequitas

It all depends, really you would know better than I would. Were you initially planning on taking the new course or did you decide mid-run? If the gatorade helped I would keep drinking it, but also keep some variety in your routine. It applies to any kind of training, eventually you get bored with it and your body gets used to it. You have to change it up a little bit.

8. hookinitup

hookinitup OT Supporter

aye aye cap'n. yes, i planned the new route before hand...but during the run i realized how shitty it was due to construction and how short it was, which is why i needed to complete the run using my old route. i'll definitely add some variety to my routes...have been working on it already. so, from what i gather, the combo of gatorade + partially new route is what did it then.

9. Mr. Fishtaco

Mr. Fishtaco New Member

From what I read here, it seems like you're running the same distance every time. That's not really the optimal way to train, even for a marathon. Also, there's no way you hit the wall after only 2 miles. That shit comes somewhere around mile 20. Anyway, to answer your original question, you got to 7 miles because your body is slowly getting used to running. To get better, you should:

-Eat more (for recovery)
    -Sleep more (for recovery)
    -Not do the same run at the same pace every day, change it up a bit (hills, sand sprints, tempo runs, intervals, long runs, easy runs, fartlek, etc.)

10. Aequitas

What it sounds like, but I would lean more toward the new route than the gatorade.:wavey:

11. elduderino323

elduderino323 OT Supporter

eating bad that day

12. KM

KM New Member

I love the feeling when you think you can just run forever...

There really is no reason to drink the gatorade before though...

At least it's hydration, but the sugar in it can crash you and maybe could be why you hit a wall sometimes when you run.

Best bet for hydration is just chug water until you just piss water. And drink throughout the day, not just an hour before the run, cause drinking so soon before the run won't help at all.

13. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

I run 35 miles a week minimum if not more most of the time.

I think sometimes you feel it and sometimes you don't. Temp, humidity, wind all play a part for me when I run.

The main thing for me is to build into my run. I start at prolly a pace of 10 min/mile for a couple of minutes and then drop it down to my normal 7:40 min/mile as I feel comfortable.

As for Gatorade, I always drink it before and after although you don't need a ton before. I usually drink a 1/4 of the bottle 30 mins before, rest after.

Music can also help, but if I'm on a serious run sometimes it can take my concentration away and I run slower.

14. KM

KM New Member

I heard that is also good. Drink just enough before to get the electrolytes but not to much to get too much sugar. And

15. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

it was covered in some past threads, but military cadences are awesome to run to

16. TrenT

TrenT OT Supporter

Its all about music for me. if i'm not feeling what I'm listening to, I cant go far. I also have a pretty active mind, so I get lost in thought and before I know it I'm several miles away from where I started.

One thing that helped me get to further distances is to really push myself. If I know 7 miles is all I can go, then I might run 4 miles out, then I have to go the extra mile if I want to get home....but dont increase your distance too quickly. I made that mistake and went from running an hour indoor on a treadmill to doing a 13 mile run outside and I hurt my hip in the process. Just take it easy and give it some time.

17. Pringles

Pringles New Member

it's a mind game to me. All the pain is your body showing you your weak. Push through it and prove to yourself you can go the distance. Music does help me keep going though. Then normally I start thinking about life and before you know it the endorphines are doing there work.

18. trancezj

trancezj New Member

bah. I can eat like a fucking champ and struggle to get 5 miles. Then I can get up on sunday at 8am after 4 hours of sleep, still half drunk and way hung over and run 8 miles and only stop because I'm back at my truck already. These people can tell you all kinds of shit, you'll have to figure out yourself. My limitation is my knees. They used to stop me at 1 mile, then at 3 miles, one day I was 100 yards from 5 and my knees felt like someone was sticking a pick head axe in them. Now they shut down between 8-10. I'm not going any further though. I don't like running enough. lol

19. TrenT

TrenT OT Supporter

:werd:

20. hookinitup

hookinitup OT Supporter

fuck! this is me to a T, except it's my lower legs that give out near the lower portions of either my fibula or tibia, most likely the tibia. actually, it could also be the lower head of my calf muscle (most likely) or the ankle joint.

anyway, i got updates...

I went running today and pretty much replicated everything from my previous run and incorporated some of the suggestions made earlier...drank 10oz of gatorade instead of 32oz and added a completely new area to my route (30% new, 30% from friday, 30% old). even the weather was the same, which is almost impossible around Chicago. The only major difference was that I had 6 days of rest before my run on friday. This time I only had 3 days rest before heading out.

So, you are probably wondering wtf happenied. well, during the second mile I hit the infamous wall like the titanic hitting the iceberg. it took fuck all to keep me moving, but I was able to keep hauling for the 7miles. Lemme tell ya...it was a struggle. During the 2nd mile the lower portions of my lower leg started hurting like mother fuckers and I was ready to toss in the towel at every turn.

Next run I plan on resting for 6 days and then trying to shoot for 9 miles. I also plan on making visits to the gym to supplement the runs...someone told me that I should do lunges and leg presses. I might make a seperate workout thread because I want to get feedback on that and other weight lifting stuff.

21. hookinitup

hookinitup OT Supporter

wtf? never heard any of this before. How do i measure my progress if i keep changing the style of run? I don't even know what those styles are to begin with.

:bowdown: to everyone for all the input.

This week has been my best one yet...i did 14 miles in two runs (~45% of the way to Zee916's 35 miles weeks :eek3:). My goal is to participate in a half marathon in the near future, probably in a month or 1.5 month.

22. jimbo1184

jimbo1184 New Member

That's exactly how I get through running. During the winter I ran a lot on the machines at my gym (although I hate them) and made sure I actually had a solid leg work out. First day outside this year I felt a huge difference in running (plus I guess it helped that I lost about 25 lbs). I like to do a lot of my thinking while running haha...so I'll usually zone out on my runs. When my body wants to give up bc it's too fatigued, I pretty much push through it and tell myself it's a mind game. Oh and good music is always key.

23. SoKo

SoKo New Member

no one has suggested new stretches?

24. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

Add sprinting drills into your warmup. Like butt kicks, goose steps, and high stepping.

25. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

drink a ton of water the night before, eat no sooner than an hour before, warm up on the bike for 20 minutes, i used to take garlic pills and that seemed like it helped but probly mostly placebo...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.