running cramps

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by RalphL, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

I went running outside post work out on monday and tuesday and stopped (both days) because my right side started cramping up. I ended up walking with some cramps but it was manageable. now, since wednesday, i get cramps in the same part of my stomach as when I was running when I walk. Will it go away or should I be concerned? Also, how do I prevent cramps in the future. It makes doing cardio after lifting difficult

2. mothafknCHARLIEnshit

mothafknCHARLIEnshit omghi2u OT Supporter

is it like a stitch in your side? i just take deep breaths when i get them and they seem to go away

that and don't concentrate on them

sorry but i can't tell if these are cramps that make you bowl over in pain, or if you're just being kinda wimpy and its just a stitch

3. Ish

Ish New Member

you really haven't experienced side cramps before now? im rather suprised.

the cramps in your side are either caused by lack of stretching, or shallow breathing while running.

"Shallow breathing tends to increase the risk of cramping because the diaphragm is always slightly raised and never lowers far enough to allow the ligaments to relax."

"Exhaling when the right foot hits the ground causes greater forces on the liver (which is on the right side just below the rib cage). So just as the liver is dropping down the diaphragm raises for the exhalation. It is believed this repeated stretching leads to spasms in the diaphragm."

4. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

Ive gotten them a ton of times. they usually just went away. I'll try that breathing technique though. And when should I stop drinking water during my work outs if I plan on doing cardio after? I feel like having a full stomach is part of the reason this happens

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.