running apache as a service

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

when i installed apache before i could start it as a service with net start apache and net stop apache to stop it (well when i started windows, apache would start right away by itself since it was a service)

now i installed phptriad on windows xp pro and i have to double click shortcut to start it, how can i change it to a service

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Why are you installing Apache on windows? BAD!

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

1. Right-click->Properties the shortcut
    2. Copy the Text in the Target box
    3. Open regedit
    4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    5. right-click->new->string value
    6. name it w/e you want
    7. right-click->Modify on the new string
    8. paste the target from step 2
    9. save + close

now everytime windows starts the service will start

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

what is bad about it? I am using the same setup and have not had a problem, is there something i'm missing?

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Uhh, yeah. Windows cannot proccess data as quick as a Unix machine can when using Apache. Windows can encounter several problems when running Apache on a windows machine. Windows can give false errors to Perl programming when attempting to use a cgi-bin installed on Apache on a windows machine.

Apache = Unix
    IIS = Windows

Keep it that way. :/

6. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

no thx

7. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

dont mind him

he is the one who posted this in Code Project: Web Ring

8. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

and yes maybe apache is not as stable on unix as on windows but i still rather use it than IIS :fawk:

9. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

Yeah, you're right, but it only eally matters if you're running a high traffic site (a la news.com, slashdot, etc) that is dependent on uptime and lack of errors. I'd doubt Leb_CRX is running that type of site off his personal machine, probably more like a quick test type thing. I do the same, it hasn't given me any problems.

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Do you know ASP, or PHP? Or even JavaScript? The way I was looking at it is that it would be required to use JavaScript for the project because not all servers are capable of ASP or PHP. Now, do you know these processes at all? Do you know that PHP and ASP are not client-sided process that browsers cannot parse? Perhaps you should do a little research on how these server-sided processes work, then come back and defend yourself.

Use Apache on WindowsXp. Heh, have fun!
    Oh really, why's that? What does Apache have that IIS does not? Just curious of your input. IIS isn't that bad. If it's a way of harping on Microsoft, then you technically cannot because you're running Windows Xp. :p Unless your testing Perl scripts or uploading to an Apache server, and using your localhost as a testing source, my bad. I can see where you are going now. :p Bleh, late for work.. lates.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2003
  11. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Wow... You seem to feel pretty strongly about this setup...

I've got LAMP and WAMP (Linux/Windows + Apache + MySQL + PHP) setups and in both configs I haven't had any problems. I haven't tried running Perl though. In fact, to maybe make matters worse, its Apache v2 which I know is bound to be unstable. I've added Tomcat v4 to the mix and even persuaded Apache and Tomcat to play nicely together, all on a W2k Pro box (its my workstation - they haven't found a legit *nix box for serveral of my apps so they're running on machine). So far all is well.

Optimally, yes, LAMP setups are going to be better than a WAMP setup. Apache vs IIS? Well, from what I've seen being dished off of IIS hasn't fully impressed me, unless you're into COM and .NET. IIS has its issues...

12. Divine Vengeance

PHP and ASP are parsed server side, it doesn't matter what browser you're using, it will still show up as expected. Javascript is browser parsed, so it changes from IE to Gecko to Mozilla. I already explained this in the Webring thread. Don't be so arrogant, and perhaps you should take your own advice and do a little reasearch.

EDIT: On another note, I use Apache on windows xp to share my mp3's and such with my friends, as well as testing PHP scripts without having to upload them to my dedicated server. I've yet to run into problems.

13. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

My message wasn't towards you. I am being arrogant towards that person because he was arrogant towards me. I know how PHP and ASP work. I'm a religious PHP coder. That message was towards D1G1T4L because he seems he cannot comprehend the difference of a server-sided scripting process and client sided one.

14. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Guys, chill! Lets keep the flaming to the other forums...

15. Leb_CRX

ya that and I host my code on it, nothing really traffic, maybe 10 hits a month, if that

I would like to put it to a stress test though just to see if it would hold up, it'd be kind of fun, anyone know of anyways? (without having 1000 peopel try to connect at once)

16. Divine Vengeance

Try making a page on another server that refreshes your index once every second, then have 5 people run it? Just a thought.

17. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

Divine Vengeance explained this matter to you 2 times in a row, so i wont even bother explaining

1st) The problem is that with IIS is there are always some vulnerabilities like nimda coming out and if you patch up in time, you can get in trouble

2nd) IIS also doesnt have php support

3rd) i had perl scripts running on apache on windows without a problem

4th) had 35 users at same today and 190 during the past 2 hours
    apache seems to be still running fine :)

5th) sorry that i came off as arrogant, but the thing that got me mad is that i posted a question about running apache as a service and u came in flaming apache on windows without any contribution to the real question....... so like astro said lets keep this forum flame-free ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  18. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

easy... post some pics in OT general forum and see how it handles ;)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2003
  19. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I was asking you the question because I feel you did not know the difference between them, yet you test my knowledge on them. Practice what you preach.

1st) Protect yourself from vulnerabilities, this not only goes for IIS but Apache, even in a Unix environment as well. Why do you think there are hosting companies that are succesful?

2nd) Wrong. You can install PHP and configure IIS to use PHP in CGI Mode.

3rd) You a Perl coder? Give it time, you will.

4th) So much for the traffic report, the image doesn't even show up.

5th) I was just simply trying to say running Apache on windows wouldn't be exactly stable as IIS. :p

20. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

1st) you are not making any sense here, my point was that you dont have to worry about vulnerabilities for apache as much as IIS

2nd) in computer world you can do anything, but why would you run php on IIS when you can just install apache which brings us to the 1st point

3rd) no i am not a perl coder but i had a few scripts running on the site and they all worked well

4th) the server is on my computer which is NOT up 24/7, the image showed traffic report which was 35 users on the website right now and 190 users who came to the site today...... pretty stable for a server running win xp pro + apache if you ask me ;)

5th) all right.....that's your opinion and my opinion is that i rather run apache on windows instead of IIS.. i guess we agree to disagree... this thread is done.....

21. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

22. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

very mature way to end the thread :rolleyes:

your profile sums you up "Pointless Poster"

23. Leb_CRX

I got too much serious info on that page to post in general OT

haha...now that I think about it, maybe I should take some of it out...heh :ugh:

24. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

:eek3:

25. Divine Vengeance

Please end yourself. Just cease.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.