running advise

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by cruzr180, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruzr180

cruzr180 I'm addictive!!

Aug 26, 2001
    I have been running since the first of the year again. I average about 3 times a week plus volleyball once a week.

right now I do 45min mostly running, usually do 3.7-4.0 miles ( 5.5 - 6mph )

I am trying to lose some weight plus get back into good cardio shape.

Would it be best to keep up what I am doing or run faster/shorter distance?
  2. msalyss85

msalyss85 Guest

What you should do is set up days that you do long distance and days when you do shorter distance. I ran XC my senior year and that's what we did.

So you should run 30mins-60mins (depending on what shape you're in), every other day.

And when you're not doing distance you should do speed workouts. For example, run at a pretty fast pace for 3 minutes then stop and jog for another three. Then do it again, decreasing the minutes. It's called a ladder, and we did this in XC (with the equivalent time for resting) 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 4 -4 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1 (time in minutes). That should be a good workout; and you don't have to follow it exactly like that at first. You can cut out one of the 3 minutes, or the 4 minute intervals. Bottom line is, vary your running days, but have distance one day and then speed the next. Be sure to take at least one day off so you don't kill yourself.

I hope this is helpful :wavey:

GL :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.