running a service in the background of a server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HardTech, Feb 16, 2005.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I'm trying to configure a server here at work to host a website, but in order for the website to be online, I have to start a program.

Is there a way to get the program to run in the background, so that the website will still be functional if I log off? Thanks

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I would suggest that you use the task scheduler to start the program when the computer starts.

You can make a program into a service (there's a bunch of utilities that will do this), but I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Also, I'm testing some web things that I made and am hosting them from my work computer on the local network. When I leave for the day I Ctrl+Alt+Del and "Lock Computer" -- the web server continues to run and all is good.

That might be an easy solution for you?

4. HardTech

HardTech hungry

the server the website is running on isn't a high traffic server, but it has a special application that none of the other computers in the lab has. As such, there might be a need when somebody else needs to log on.

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

you can do that? Have the program run in the background when the computer is on, but nobody is logged on?

on the main file and backup server, we have the backup program run in the background without anybody being logged on

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well backup programs normally are services, but there's no reason that you can't run a program without being logged in, afterall you have to choose an account to "Run as...". For example, I have my critical files dump to the server every day at 7, I'm not around to do that. One thing to keep in mind though, drive letters are not valid, so you either have to net use them in a batch file or use UNC paths. Oh, I also have an Access database that opens, runs the autoexec macro which runs a number of import and query commands, and closes. Runs at 5 in the morning.

7. HardTech

HardTech hungry

thanks a lot man :)

I'll be sure to ask more questions if I can't get it to run properly after work today