Running 1:1 on Conroe

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TekDragon, Sep 5, 2006.

1. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Could someone who knows the forumulas for determining how processors and memory match up help me out with a few questions?

Conroe FSB = 1066
    Memory speed needed for 1:1 synching assuming stock proccesor speed: 533 mhz

1. Is there some advancement in the architecture of the Conroe that makes synching less of an issue thus nullifying any concerns about running on a 1:1 ratio?

If not:

2. What percentage overclock would need to be done on a Conroe to get it to run 1:1 with 667 mhz RAM?

3. Where is the cutoff point between superiority of a synched 533 mhz and the superiority of raw speed? 800 mhz?

4. When considering how memory manufacturers are focuing on 667 & 800, would going with a 667 (or 800) chip and underclocking it to 533 be the best bet?

2. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

No one?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure that it would be impossible for you to run the CPU, motherboard, and RAM all at the same clock speed and still have a computer that could boot up and run reliably, even if you did take care of the heat problem. The reason CPUs cost so much is because it takes a lot of careful engineering to make millions of logic circuits that can change voltage in a billionth of a second or less; imagine how much a computer would cost if all of the ICs on the motherboard were built to the same standards.

4. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

:ugh:

People have been building computers and syching their memory and processor for as long as I can remember.

The C2D has a FSB of 1066. DDR2 533 (a standard chip speed) runs at 1:1 with it. Another way of synching is to use DDR2 1066 for a 2:1 ratio (at ridiculous price). Having your memory and processor speeds synched provides a noticable performance boost.

From what i've read, using DDR2 800 would result in a 2:3 ratio and DDR2 667 would be a 4:5 ratio.

5. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

You can see a good example of this here:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=472

Look at the charts. While you would expect a standard progression there is actually a large boost in the DDR2 533 memory compared to the chips close to it (DDR2 667), and it comes so close to DDR2 800 that the difference is miniscule. That's the advantage of synching.

I'm just wondering if I should Go with a DDR2 667 and overclock the processor to run at 1:1, or if I should leave my processor stock and either:

a) Just get DDR2 533
    b) Get DDR2 667 or DDR2 800 and underclock it to get tighter timings.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2006
  6. deusexaethera

So when you said "synching", you really meant "matching the speeds to a common factor"? I'd interpreted what you said to mean that you wanted to make the RAM run at the same clock speed as the core of the CPU, as in overclocking your RAM to run at 3GHz or something like that. Yes, then, I agree with what you said -- I suggested the same thing to someone looking to overclock their video card.

Now that I understand what you want to do, then it would seem that your math is already correct; the only unknown factors (to me) are whether your CPU can handle being overclocked as much as it needs to be, and whether you can afford the faster DDR2-800 RAM.

7. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Ok, what was confusing me was the extra multiplier that gets added to the DDR2 with Dual Channel. The good side is it makes it easier to calculate. Just double the frequency of your memory (or half the FSB) to see what the ratio is.

Thus we find that:

DDR2 533: 533x2=1066. (perfect match = 1:1 ratio. no muss, no fuss).
    DDR2 667: 667x2=1334. 1334-1066=268. 268/1066=.251

Thus you need an approximate 25% overclock to attain 1:1 speeds with DDR2 667 dual channel.

I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing a 25% overlock on air cooling, even with a nice aftermarket heatsink.

8. deusexaethera

Looks like DDR533 fits the bill nicely. I wouldn't bother trying to overclock by 25% right off the bat. Wait until some other people figure out what needs to be done to keep the chip cool, and then consider buying the DDR667 when it's older and cheaper.