Runners: need some advice

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Triad, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Triad

Triad I deficate locomotives.

I am starting a running regiment and have built myself up to running 2 to 3 mi. every other day. After the run I feel drained of energy and my knees really hurt (swollen).

Any advice to keeping my energy level up and keeping my knees from falling off?

thanks.

2. JustBlazin

JustBlazin Ironic Punishment

your endurance will get better with time, but it could also be you're not getting enough carbs

as for your knees, make sure you have a proper pair of shoes for your type of stride (go to any specialty running store, they should help you)

3. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

ok for energy levels up, it'll come with time, I use to feel like shit after a run, eventually I got to the point I feel like a million bucks, if it's really that bothersome, try taking an energy drink after, that's the only thing I can suggest (assuming you're carb intake is adequate)_

one thing that's really improved my cardio (talking in regards to hockey here) is eating a few chocolate covered coffee beans before going out there, give that a try

for the knees...ya that's terrible, the main things to keep in mind is surface you're running on and shoes...those are key

for shoes, go to a speciality store, have them look at your old shoe's wear pattern and recommend one, make sure you let them know your knees hurt and they may recommend a shoe with extra padding in the sole...that's #1

the second thing, is the surface you're running on...avoid concrete at all costs, run on the side of the road (asphalt) and if possible, grass or a something of that nature (school track, or something simular)

your knees should never get that bad, don't let them...if it's too much just work it up slowly

4. xela

xela So say we all!

Running was something that no matter how many miles (3-7) I ran I would always be exhausted when I was finished and it was just so hard on my body. While I used to enjoy it very much I gave it up for those reasons.

5. Elfling

Elfling New Member

-get good shoes
    -ice your knees after you run
    -don't run on concrete- PERIOD. asphalt/grass/track only.

How much do you weigh? If you're on the chubby side, running probably isn't the best thing for you right now, it can be damn hard on the joints.

6. Triad

I am about 220 right now...
    I am icing my knees EVERY night. (I am doing a pretty extensive workout program and running is a big part of it)

7. FunkJunkie

FunkJunkie New Member

vitamins?

8. Elfling

Elfling New Member

BIG time. Concrete is the absolute hardest surface you can run on. On a scale of 1 to 10 it's something like concrete is a 10, asphalt is a 6.

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

What's your overall workout plan like? How many days per week, etc? How tall are you?

Off hand, 220 is a bit heavy for running to be your main cardio- whether you're 220 fat or lean, doesn't matter.

10. xcrnr

xcrnr New Member

How fast/hard are you running? If your knees are hurting that bad you may consider running slower/easier for a longer distance to still get the cardio benefit. To really build your endurance you need to include a run of at least 45 min. to an hour. Don't focus on distance but on how long you can stay out on a run.

11. Triad

I am in a California Police Academy. Para-military setup.
    Since its started (3 weeks ago) I've lost about 13lbs...Mostly in part to changing my diet around and constantly working out.

12. Triad

We have been running about 2-3 miles every other day,.

13. The Boy Bastard

The Boy Bastard Bewbie's??

You have already gotten the good fundamental advice on the shoes, etc. Something else I could recommend for your "energy" is to buy a heart rate monitor. This can greatly improve your efficency of training for a small to modest investment.

14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

READ THIS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.