Runner crew, I could use some advice

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Marijuanair, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

I cant seem to run very far for very long, when I do I cramp up bad in my sides and my shins. today I jogged a half mile and had to drag myself home the because both my shin mucles locked up so tight I couldnt bend my ankles. I've been trying to work on my cardio capacity, I wanted to run a marathon next fall with some friends, but I cant seem to stop my mucles from cramping up really bad. Any advice? maybe it's my diet, I dont take in much carbs anymore.

2. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Stretch before you run. I have been strectching and that has been helping quite a bit.

3. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Stretch. And go to a running store and have them help you pick out shoes that are right for your foot type. Your problem could easily be caused by either issue.

Also yo generally dont want to increase your distance or pace by more than 10% per week.

4. mizunin

mizunin New Member

sounds like you're dehydrated. try drinking about half a gallon water throughout the day before you run, or just around 16-32 oz if you run in the morning or something

5. Marijuanair

I've always read you stretch after using the mucles, it helps to prevent injury. Typically muscles should be warmed up before being hyper extended because of some alcohal build up in them :dunno: Maybe that only applies to weight training though

6. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

If your shins are that bad it's probably your shoes.

7. Marijuanair

yea, I did work calves out ealier that day which might not have helped. It was so bad I thought I was going to have to hitch hike home, I sat down and massaged my shins and calves for a few mines and they were contracted so hard they felt like cement. I waddled home like I had cinder blocks on my feet. I cramp up all the time but that's the worst it's ever been in my life.

Where's a good place to get some good workout shoes? I just have some white nike tennis shoes I grabbed from somewhere as my workout shoes.

8. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Fountain Hills: 16858 Ave of the Fountains; Ph: (480) 816-3880

http://www.the3day.org/site/apps/nl/newsletter2.asp?c=ciKTLcPRLvF&b=1072455

What you're looking for is foot and gait analysis. Invest in a nice pair of running shoes and your feet (and shins) will love you.

9. kumar_a

kumar_a Well-Known Member

good running shoes + stretch ur shins

i have had the same problems when id run in my cross trainers w/o stretching

10. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Warm up 5 minutes so you break a sweat. Do preliminary runner stretches (mostly calf/ankle). Run. HIIT is the best. Afterwards, stretch again. Get some quality shoes. In the long run, it's worth the 150 bucks. Also, run on grass or track surface. Do not run downhill or on cement.

Btw, shin splits are caused by tights calves and inflexible ankles. There are three main stretches that work those muscles and should be performed daily (after warming up somehow) so you can get some flexibility. I wouldn't suggest running after working calfs beforehand because of the tightness that results from muscle training.

Personally, I had shin splits when I first started running which was the result of not running for many years. My calves and ankles simply weren't flexible enough and tigthened around the bone (causing the shin splits). Physio recommended calf/ankle stretches and now I am fine.

11. xela

xela So say we all!

You really need to stretch, stretch and stretch some more. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted for good shoes. At my place they watched me walk barefoot and determined if I was an over or under pronator which helped in picking out the right shoes for me.

12. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

stretch! (i nevr do tho)... eat a banana for potasium

13. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

judging by how you look i'd doubt you consume any kind of sodas, even diet... but i always had fucking terrible cramps if i drank soda any less than 4 hours before a run.

i'd say a carby meal 1 hour or so before your run is a great idea, along with drinking shit tons of water. I used to get shin splints very very badly too and they always go away when i buy new shoes.... stretching will help for a bit but they'll come back.

14. Accord

Accord New Member

If you don't breathe properly when running, you will get cramps. Your breathing rhythm when running should be like you're yawning. Deep breath in, deep breath out emptying your lungs, repeat for the entire run.

15. Marijuanair

I've been drinking alot of diet rockstar lately, it helps me make it through those 12 hour graveyard shifts :wtc:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.