runnage distance vs. time

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by techn9ne, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techn9ne

techn9ne New Member

im starting to run daily, and i was starting to wonder what burns off calories and uses more energy. for example, two people, (same body type, genetics, etc) run a fixed distance, say one mile. person A runs the mile in 5 minutes. person B runs the mile twice as slow, 10 minutes. who burns the most calories, if there is a difference?

and another question. i increase how much i run daily by 1/8 of a mile. is that too much/too little or does it not matter as long as i don't collapse?

thx:x:

2. zedsded

zedsded I gotta be me, it's my life

When you first start running you should run every other day to give your body a break and time to heal. As for adding mileage, do what's comfortable. You shouldn't add more than a mile or 2 per week.

Are you training for something or just being healthy?

3. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

I've always read that the distance traveled is the key factor in burning a fixed amount of calories. But i guess high intensity has a longer term calorie burning effect. Not really sure on the science behind this one. I'd like to hear a good answer as well.

Stretch before and after the run and don't be afraid to take time off if you start hurting and you should be fine.

4. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

In my opinion you should actually run for time and run for a longer distance one day out of the week.. say Saturday.

ex.
    Monday- 15min
    Tues- 20 min
    Thurs- 15 min
    Saturday - 3 miles

5. grooves12

grooves12 New Member

The rule of thumb I hear is that you should not increase your running distance by more than 10% per week. While your cardiovascular system may improve quicker than that... your bone density and joints will not be able to handle the increased loads that quickly and will lead to injuries down the line.

6. techn9ne

techn9ne New Member

im trying to cut some pounds and increase cardio for muay thai. every week i add another 6/8 mile, since i just increase it daily. it hasnt stressed me yet.

7. techn9ne

techn9ne New Member

i read somewhere stretching before exercising increases muscle damage. i tried just stretching after i run, and it seems to have better effects than stretching before.

8. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Active Member

maybe if you don't warm up first. You might have been reading about stretching cold muscles.

9. techn9ne

techn9ne New Member

maybe. i usually just start right off the bat. but it works for me so far:hsughno:

10. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

i almost always do cardio on machines now (either the treadmill or ellipsical)

my joints ached enough from running in the military. I dont need the added stress when i go to the gym for cardio.

11. techn9ne

techn9ne New Member

someone told me that running on machines is like running downhill. i dunno though. i like running outside :)

12. zedsded

zedsded I gotta be me, it's my life

Yeah, most of the stuff that I've read says just some light stretching before the run and then a good stretch after. That what seem to work for me, I'll maybe spend 30 seconds stretching my calves before running.

13. HardTech

HardTech hungry

Work = Force x Distance.. you burn the same amount of calories by running a mile, whether it's 5 minutes or 10 minutes or 100 minutes. You just burn that many calories in that much time.

For example, if it takes 100 calories to run a mile, you'll burn 100 calories in 5 minutes if you run the mile in 5 minutes, or 100 calories in 10 minutes if you run in 10 minutes.

There are differences in your metabolism afterwards, though. If you run the mile in 5 minutes, your metabolism will be higher than if you walked the mile in 20.

14. friedrice

friedrice New Member

That does make sense but I really have a hard time believing that the energy consumed would be the same between someone who ran a 5k in 20 mins vs someone who ran it in 40 mins. It would make more sense to me if it read something like Work= Force x distance divided by time or some math bs.

15. HardTech

HardTech hungry

W = F * d is a universal physics equation. Besides, what does it matter? If you want to get seriously technical, sprinting will burn more calories than running because you're probably swinging your arms at a greater angle and you're using muscle to force your legs to move faster instead of letting gravity pull them down. These are just semantics. Just get out there and run.

But from a purely scientific point of view, you burn the same calories running the mile in 10 minutes and running the mile in 2 minutes. You just burn that many calories that much faster.

16. techn9ne

techn9ne New Member

yeah i kind of stopped caring about this and just run sprints after i finish my main running to make up

17. spiller

spiller New Member

The amount of calories burnt (and the type of energy source for the supply of those calories) depends mostly on the intensity of the activity)

i assume that since you want to burn calories you want to burn fat?

you probably know that the body can utilise 3 different fuels for enegery:

Fat
    Glucose (stored as glycogen)
    Protein (only used as an energy source when the other two are not available (i.e. starvation)

Fat has the most stored energy out of the three.

Naturally the body burns glucose before burning up fat for energy because it is more readily available and a more efficient enegery source (but its important to know that both energy sources are being utilised at all times, just in different amounts to each other depending on the type of activity (see below))

As a means of saving the best energy (i.e. glucose) for when it is needed most (which is really quite a smart physiological mechanism), the body burns more fat than glucose and protein during lower intensity activites (i.e. walking).

To answer your question, if you want to burn mostly fat, then take up regular exercise in the form of walking.

By running at submaximal intensity (which is what you have described) you will use more glucose than fat, but over time you'll also develop much more efficient means of using the energy that is available - i.e. you'll become fitter) and eventually you'll burn that fat like im assuming you want to (since your original Q was about burning calories).

For the record, sub maximal intensity is defined as exercising at 75% of your maximum heart rate (max heart rate = 220 minus your age) for a period of 20 mins or longer. So aim for at least a 20 minute run if you want to develop your sub max. intensity fitness.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  18. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

^^Cool post.

I want to burn fat, but I want to be fit, too, so I figure that my 40+ min runs are doing the best for me.

19. spiller

spiller New Member

they certainly would be :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.