Rules, Rules, Rules

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Dio Seijuro, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

I recently thought about how you can become too obsessed with following strict style/fashion rules in the quest to becoming a very stylish person. For example on GQ magazine's "Glenn O'Brien Solving Your Sartorial Conundrum" section, I see repeatedly people so timid about breaking some "rule of style" that they ask Glenn about the smallest things as if a mistake is live and death. It's not so strange or bad, but this just doesn't strike me as what being stylish is all about. Some rules are always sound, yes, but I feel you should strive to develop a personal taste and not be afraid to be a little different.

I mean, some of these people ask questions like is this pattern ok for a pocket square, can you wear white suit other than summer time, is French Cuff shirt okay with jeans, is stripe on stripe okay, and other extremely specific stuff like that. Seems too reliant on rules to me.

I can't say I am guilt-free when it comes to being a Nazi in certain things though. I hate to see a man wearing anything too tight their nipple or crotch is showing. That's just me.

What do you think? How rigidly do you follow "timeless rules"? Where does that point come when you say, okay, this is where I have my own ieda?

2. JayDC7

JayDC7 oh my god it's sasquatch!?

i think a lot of those "rules" are more guidelines, although like you said, some should be avoided... like socks with sandals

but if you have the swagger to pull it off you can bend the rules a lot more..

3. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Sounds like one of those times when you have to know the rules to be able to break them.

If you follow the "rules" 90% of the time, the 10% you break them look better

If you break them 100% of the time, it just looks like you don't have a clue

:dunno: