GUN Ruger's workhorse Ranch Rifle gets an accuracy makeover

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Nov 18, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/mini_111606/

Targeting The Mini
    Ruger's workhorse Ranch Rifle gets an accuracy makeover.
    By Scott Rupp

By at least one reckoning, if Bill Ruger and his engineers had developed the Mini 14 in the decade prior to when they first began to tinker with it in 1971, it might have become America's battle rifle instead of the M16/AR-15. :ugh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    :bowrofl: [MOVE] :bowrofl: [/MOVE]
    At least that's R.L. Wilson's take, noted in his book Ruger & His Guns. After all, the Mini 14 was based heavily on the operating system used by the M14 rifle, with which soldiers and Marines were quite familiar back in the early to mid-1960s. And by chambering it in the smaller, lighter .223 Remington/5.56mm NATO, Ruger and his crew had essentially achieved part of what the Defense Department was looking for--a smaller, lighter infantry weapon.

While Eugene Stoner's AR design prevailed in the end, what Ruger and his team came up with proved to be one of the handiest and most fun rifles ever put into the hands of sportsmen. The Mini 14, introduced in 1975, has a big following because not only is it fun to shoot, it's a workhorse. It employs a Garand breech bolt locking system and a fixed-piston gas system with self-cleaning, moving gas cylinder. The Mini 14 design vents unburned powder particles, which keeps the system clean and running like the Energizer bunny.

And while utter dependability is one of the things people love about the Mini 14, its accuracy has always been questionable. Recently I was reading one of the discussion threads on the gun forum at www.gunsandammo.com. One forum member, in the market for a .223 semiauto, had posed the question of whether he should buy a Mini 14 or an AR-style rifle. The responses he got were pretty consistent: If you want a gun that will never quit on you, go with the Ruger; if you're looking for accuracy, go with the AR. My own experience with my Ruger Mini Thirty, the 7.62x39 variant of the Mini 14, certainly bears that out: It's a "minute of milk jug" gun, but it will keep on shooting no matter what.

continue article

2. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Yeah I just got that mag in the mail. The rifle is fucking hideous.

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

fuck ruger.

4. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

another way of looking at it is like this:

it takes a special talent to create a rifle as inaccurate as the Mini 14 on a rifle as accurate as the M14.

Bill Ruger and his team have some skills.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:rofl:

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

...and that's why the a-team never killed anyone... i had thought it was because it was a family type show from the 80's, until people here broke the news to me here in WMD... for some reason, i still want one... maybe it's because it's the only rifle i see in ranch trucks, that i do stereo's in over and over again at work.

7. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

lol yeah

anyone old enough to remember the 80's would fondly remember the A-Team all decked out with automatic AC-556Fs hosing down the place

never seems to hit anyone - not even a wing

I seem to remember they used M16s before but the 556F is more fitting to the story line

8. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i think season 2 is when they made the switch