GUN Ruger P89 - short story and opinions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by efbomb, Feb 15, 2005.

1. efbomb

efbomb New Member

I caught 2 dark dressed men lurking in my yard at about 2 AM the other night.
    I just happend to be awake becuase my ex was calling me from the bar. I looked out my window (facing the back yard) to make sure the crazy bitch isnt in my yard again then somthing caught my eye, i cracked the blind again and saw 2 guys walking across my yard into my neighbors then i lost sight of them past a large pine tree
    Immediately called the police, then went to bed after i talked to the officer.
    he told me that there had been a break in about a month before that 2 blocks down, and the people slept thru it. electronics only.

the next day i got to thinkin - what if

so now i need a gun, just incase.
    plus my firends go target shooting once in a while so i could go with them.

I am considering purchasing a Ruger P89 used. 9mm, almost new, no scratches
    2003 model year i think. Its a pretty good deal at $265.
    From a sporting goods store. I considered a pawn shop, but didnt like the idea of it being stolen or somthing and couldnt be sure of the condition.

I will be using it for personal protection (trigger locked - in my bedroom somewhere) and target shooting once in a while.

I was wondering what your opinions are on this gun?

yay or nay

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

as stated in all the other Ruger posts....

Great gun, can't go wrong with a Ruger.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I had a P-89T Ruger I bought new and went 2500 rds with 0 problems, I dont have it anymore because my friend who is new to guns shot it and liked it so much I sold it to him.
    You cant go wrong :big grin:

4. Y2kAccord

PS trigger lock and personal protection dont go together by the time you figit getting the trigger lock off the intruder will of done shot ya.
    I have a quick access safe which works well for me.. 4 digit code and top is spring loaded no keys or anything to mess with

[​IMG]

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

umm.. do you have very small kids in your house? Id recommend AGAINST using a trigger lock..those things go in the trash as soon as I bring a gun home, I wouldnt want to have to find a key and unlock my gun as my house was being robbed or my daughter was being raped..

6. chakup

chakup Guest

I have the P89 special edition with the hogue grips and decock. Excellent self-defense gun imho. The grips have abosutlety spoiled me they are basically a must on all guns now. The gun will feed, fire, extract anything, pretty accurate for a handgun. With the decock you have 15+1 with the hammer decocked, the first shot is DA with all subsequent shots SA. The first shot is long and heavy, but is good for stress situations and little hands investigating. You could also just cock the hammer before your shot. I love my gun. I also have a 1911 and just got a G19. If it wasn't for the size the P89 would be my favorite gun.

7. Y2kAccord

I was going to get a trigger lock for my revolver (which is never loaded at home) What is so bad about them they are trash? It obviously wont fit in my safe and right now is on a top closet shelf? I wouldnt use it for defense its just there till I go to the range

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  8. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I've got a P89, well my wife does. It's a nice little peice. A little light for me. But, over all it's a GREAT gun for the price.

9. Y2kAccord

I have a cable gun lock that came with both of my guns I may try that.

10. YoungMontana

YoungMontana New Member

p89 ruger will be the first gun i legally purchase when i turn 21-

had a p90.....great gun...oh and that safe is the way to go...trigger locks are a no no in most cases

11. Y2kAccord

explain is everyone is saying they are a No/No for defense reasons (hard to get off in a hurry)? I am looking to have a gun be immoble till my next trip to the range?

12. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

If you have guns that are not ready to go for defense and are out of your immediate control they should be locked up in a safe. That keeps them inaccessible to unauthorized persons as well as immobile.

It takes about 5 minutes to forcefully remove a trigger lock. If someone finds your gun all they have to do is take it somewhere else and break the lock.

Also, some guns can still fire with the trigger lock in place. The "one size fits all" concept doesn't always work with as many makes and models of firearms as there are out there.

Spend the money and buy a safe.

13. Y2kAccord

See the post above, I do have a safe for my gun that is by my bed (my XD-40 lives in there), but my revolver is 12" long and will not fit in the safe. I have an 19mos old little girl who I would rather be safe than sorry.

What bout those cable lock systems that you run through the barrel and lock? I figure a trigger lock or one of those would be a best bet?

Any info on this this wouldnt be something I would need to get to in a hurry?

14. YoungMontana

YoungMontana New Member

so in your case you would just need to make sure that the lock is effective on the gun. Since this wont be the 1st one your reaching for if something happens it shouldnt be a factor. I think most of us are referring to your main gun and a trigger lock as not mixing...

your xd in the safe would be your first line of defense.....

15. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

if its not loaded, and you dont plan on using that weapon to defend yourself in a potential home invasion, then sure, lock it.. but whats the point? do you have young kids in the house?

16. Y2kAccord

I have a toddler who couldnt reach is where its at now.. but I want to be 110% sure that it cant be fired unless I want it to be.

17. Y2kAccord

I am not worried about theft just safety for my child not to be able to fire it. Right now its unloaded on the top shelf of the closet

18. dougfir

dougfir i luf korean grills

19. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Cable locks are good if it's a gun that's stored away and you can't afford a safe. If it's going to be a gun for home protection though, I don't recommend them. Imagine waking up in the middle of the night by the sound of glass shattering. Find the gun, find the key, try to unlock it, load it. Do that in the dark while still groggy from being woken up.

Better option is a small keypad safe you can use for both guns and small items. Like these
    http://elitetacticalsources.com/gun_safes.htm

20. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

why did this thread get bumped?

21. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:werd:

22. dougfir

I bumped it because I wanted to know how much they got the p89's for...

23. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

check out the new CDNN catalog..

www.cdnninvestments.com

download the PDF, they always have great deals on the Ruger P-Series

24. dougfir

Cool, thanks!