GUN Ruger p 89

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by lvkyle, Sep 28, 2004.

1. lvkyle

lvkyle I am a punk rocker!

So I wanted a Glock 17, but I also wanted to keep $200 extra in my pocket so I got a Ruger p 89. Came with two ten round mags, lock, case and some range ammo. Now I have to wait till thursday to pick her up :(
    $289 sticker price $325 out the door. It's a blue finish double action saftey modle. First upgrade is grips then sights :)

They let me shoot her at range before I left. I was bullseye 6 shots, and in the 9 area of target with 9 shots. Trigger is a little tough but when I focused It was a nail driver. I was shooting it better than my uncles glocks or my late kimber.

My buddy has one. Never had one jam or any problems. I feel confident with this brick of medal.

My first handgun "that I bought", and ive realized something. 3 day wait sucks.

My buddy has one. Never had one jam or any problems. From everything ive read, to people who have them, to the gun store clerks they all say for the money you can't beat it. It's built like a tank.

Come thursday life just got 10 times better. I live 8 minutes from the desert range, and Im going to hustle for some ammo money in the mean time.

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I have one and 2k rounds and no problems.. they are built to last forever. IF it donest have it already get a Hogue Grip for $16 off ebay...

The trigger does have a long pull but trigger control can work around it. You will be happy with your purchase.

Any specific questions about it check out http://www.rugerforum.com the people there will be able to answer question you have

3. lvkyle

Hogue Grip will be first thing added on. Then I might search around for some 15 round mags, and maybe some 20's for fun.

Thursday will be a big shoot up the desert day. I will bring my AR, my 30-30, my buddy will bring his p 89, my uncle his glocks, shot guns and skeet thrower, and blast the hell out of the day.

4. Y2kAccord

Just in case if you were looking there are 30rds going round for Ruger P-89s but from what I understand they dont feed well.

2k rounds mine still looks and feels brand new

5. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

is this a DC model or a regular p-89?

6. lvkyle

Its the manual Saftey model.

7. copiertalk

you paid a little much, but i do not know what area you are from or who you know. i have one for sale and i want $300 for the DC model which is within reason for my area. enjoy your firearm!

8. Y2kAccord

He didnt pay to much, the MSRP is like $400 on them, even around here I paid $340. $325 out the door is a decent price.

9. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Great gun, but shitty triggers. I've owned a P89, and a P95 in the past, but I couldn't shoot them for shit, so I got rid of them.

10. lvkyle

I didn't mind the trigger with the rounds I shot off at the range. I shot it just as well as I shot my uncles glocks if not better. I got nice groups at 25 yards.

In fact first pull went bullseye.

I don't think I paied to much either. It's a used P 89, but it's in perfect condition, came with box, lock, two 10 round mags, case, manual plus some free range time.
    You can get them cheaper off the net, but after shipping, FFL fee, gun shop fee ect, you are paying the same. I supported my local gun shop and got it for $325 out the door. A pair of houge grips will run me $20, and some extra mags a little more, but for the price you can't beat this gun.
    It's built to last, built not to jam, built in usa, and built to shoot straight.
    For $325 you tell me a better deal.

11. Y2kAccord

You got a great gun for your money and I never regretted buying mine.. Rugers are built to last.

12. matt_656

matt_656 New Member

great gun 5k rounds easy and never a jam.... not once...ever

trigger is nice after you get used to it a glock feels like a piece of shit

13. copiertalk

i was not trying to tell him he got ripped off or anything. i was just commenting that in my area they are a little less than he payed. if he is happy with the pistol he purchased with the amount he payed, thats great. there is nothing wrong with that.

firearm value changes with location. guns in texas may bring a lower price than say, califoria or new york, this could also aply as far as west texas compared with houston . as i said, i had no idea where he was from.

get the Hogue Grip, it brings a whole new feel to the firearm.

i was wanting to sell mine for another project, not because i thoutht it was a bad gun, i just have another project in the fire and have 3 9mm handguns and a rifle in the same caliber.

happy shooting.

14. lvkyle

Tex, here is some advice for you"
    Don't sell your guns. Save up for more.
    Sell your computer, your playstation, your dog, the kictchen sink but don't sell your guns.

I sold my shotgun and my kimber and both left holes in my heart.

I don't think i could of gotten this gun any cheaper off the internet, maybe another gun shop, but the gun shop i bought it from is the first place i ever shot a hand gun, and ive been going there for years.

The price was fair, the gun is in great condition as they wouldnt of sold it to me if it wasnt.

15. copiertalk

i finally looked at your profile and looked where you live, its good to live in a free state instead of one of those communist ones. enjoy your firearm!

16. Y2kAccord

You can work around the trigger using trigger control.. you pull the trigger in all the way on the first round, then let it out till you hear a click and pull for a shorter smoother pull for the remaining rounds.

17. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

Wanted a Glock but settled for a Ruger? Well... ya get what ya pay for. :ugh2:

I had a Ruger P89 as my first handgun ever. I sold it REAL quick and bought a Smith and Wesson 3913 instead. Ruger makes some of the worst automatic handguns ergonomically speaking. I can't believe they were ever issued by various police departments, but they were. :hs:

18. Y2kAccord

If you replace the stop grip with a Hogue, its very comfortable in your hand.

19. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

I had a Hogue grip on mine. It made it feel less like a brick but more like a warm, squishy brick.

20. lvkyle

It fits in my hands real nice. I dont have small girly hands like some glock shooters.

It fits and shoots better than my uncles glocks.

I got big manly hands so maybe thats why i like the grip.

21. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

...and judging by your original post the reason you didnt by the glock is you couldnt afford it :rofl:

22. lvkyle

Yeah I wanted a G17 and still do. After all they are the only gun I know of that can shoot underwater. I don't have $500 to buy one. $300 is much more reasonable for a kid my age. Im happy with my purchase with no regrets. I will get a G17 along with many more handguns later in life when I can afford them.
    Fact is tomorrow I will be armed and out at the range shooting the ruger. That wouldn't of been the case If I would have waited till god knows when, when I could of afforded a G17. :)

I also said some glock shooters have small girly hands. Some ruger shooters also have small girly hands which is why they dont like the grip.

It fits nice in my hand, I wouldn't of bought it if it didn't.

23. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Have fun shooting your future Glock under water. :rofl:

24. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I was kind of wondering the same thing :hsugh:

25. lvkyle

boy, I will be shooting Mk 19 automatic grenade launchers, 50 cals, and gatling guns while your shooting whatever your shooting.

And yes I will also be shooting a G17 Under water. I don't know why you find that comment amusing ???