MMA Rubber Guard Bitches

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Placebo, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Placebo

Placebo New Member

God I've been loving the rubber guard lately. It is such a good lockdown position, and it is so easy to pull off the Omoplata, armbar variances, triangle, etc... from it on most people.

If you guys are interested I'll post some details for some of you guys if you aren't familiar with it. If enough people want to see it, I'll post a vid and the like of how to do it correctly and the basic things to do from there.

Any of you guys work that position? What do you guys typically work from there?

2. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

I am pretty predictable I either go to an omo plata or if i can get the right angle I sometimes use a modified triangle....using my forearm instead of my other leg...don't know what the bjj folks call it...

3. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I try to use the rubber guard any time I have guard, I like it a lot.

I was shown that forearm triangle choke not long ago, thats a great sub a lot of people never see coming.

4. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Care to explain? I can envision what I think it would be, but am not sure.

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i dont think i play rubber guard right. if someone explodes upwards i cant really hold it

or they sneak the knee in between my butt. i think ive only had one guy ever get me with rubber guard.

i guess i need to go take a private with eddie or something :mamoru:

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

haha, at first it seemed like an akward position, but I began to mess around with it a little and it got easier and easier to open up the various subs from there. One tip I think that is useful is to get the trapped arm's hand down to the mat by overhooking.

7. Placebo

Placebo New Member

How do you guys perform it?

This is where I end up before I start any of my submissions:

1. Left foot on his hip and get him in tight so his arms are planted.
    2. Pull the right calf up behind his neck.
    3. left hand has an underhand grip on my right achilles and right hand has an underhand grip pulling the knee in.

8. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

the position you described is called the "New York" in eddie's book. I perform it on the other side, so my left leg is the one i'm pulling with my right hand, i prefer an overhand grip. my right foot is in their hip. While holding them down like this, I use my left arm to overhook their right arm and bring it down to the mat. Then I will usually try to go for the oma plata by pushing their face and hip. Usually they won't get finished like this, but usually it will sweep them.

9. Placebo

Placebo New Member

All the nicknames :mamoru: It was called "Mission Control" where I learned it.

10. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Oh you overhook even with omoplata? Never thought of that. I usually overhook for my armbar variations and triangle.

11. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

The overhook I let go of when I start the oma plata. And mission control is what the rubber guard is called when you just grab your own ankle. If you also grab your knee to hold the arm in place, thats the New York. I have the "jiu jitsu unleashed" book in PDF if you want it... just send me an IM.

12. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Oh, he was calling it mission control when you underhook both the knee and the ankle. He didn't mention anything about the New York. You are propoably right though.

13. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Say I have my right foot over my opponents neck, holding it with my left hand. I grab that foot with my right hand placing my forearm in front of his head.

when i'm read to do the choke, I slide my right arm to his neck, and crank to my right while pulling down his head with my left hand.

14. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

I'm flexible, i guess what i do amounts to rubber guard although i haven't really got any formalised mission control houston names for what i do.

15. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah only time I utilize it currently is when my legs get too tired from retaining guard, I'll give them a break by doing my version of rubber guard, which proabably isn't really how you do it, which is probably why I can't get any moves out of it.