MMA Rubber Gaurd

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Can anyone explain the concept, general idea to me? I'll probably try to look up something later, but I'm just curious after last nights rolling. A newer guy at our gym was trying to do a shoulder lock (it didn't look like an Omoplata) from what he said was a rubber gaurd, but I don't know if he was doing it wrong or what but it didn't seem effective.

Dunno what his experience is or if he's just watched a couple vids on the net, but I want to know more about it. :x:

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'd definitely like to check out more about it, and yeah that's why I requested the Bravo stuff in m2e's thread. I'm a deceptively flexible big guy. I can almost do the splits and high kick fairly easily (I used to run hurdles).

3. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

i hear its really effective if you can touch your foot to your opposite shoulderwithout much trouble :p

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah I'm a bendy motherfucker and have been wanting to work with someone who knows how to use it effectively for a while. I can touch my opposite side SHOULDERBLADE with my foot :eek3:

5. Maestro Nobones

wot's that

6. xinster

xinster New Member

what are the subs you rubber guys use mostly? I've been fucking around with it and pulled my first omoplatas and 2 triangles but it was on a newblet. Seems like with the triangle you can see it coming from even further away.

I'd like to know what a meathook is. Right now i think its when you grab your left leg with yoru left hand/arm. this shit is confushing

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

eddie didnt use it in abu dhab to beat royler.. he used the basic overhook setup to triangle that everyone does. watch the clip. he doesnt pull his shin or any of that crap.

i went to eddie bravo's school, and no one could do it to me. theres literally ONE guy, who gets that crap on me, and he was in adcc. I think its definitely overrated. Watch nino schembri vs hamanaka. You can just pull yourself out the back, or slam your way out of it. Plus on someone without freakish flexibility you can damage the outside part of your knees. I used to play around with it when i first started jiu jitsu, and then I realized its a waste of time.

Yes it works for some people, but in my experience, the people who do it well are few and far between

8. xinster

xinster New Member

I went through all the grapplearts stuff in rubber guard again.

I think i'l stick with perfecting my half and butterfly guard :big grin:

9. chechen

it's overrated because in every forum you have a tonnnnn of white belts going.

"YEAH IM WORKING ON SETTING UP MY LONDON TO MISSION CONTROL BLAH BLAH BLAH."

and they probably dont even know how to pass a guard. I see new people come to my school all the time with two days of training, and start trying to pull their feet up to their head.

10. Maestro Nobones

that's weird. you pretty much never see it around here

11. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

:bowdown:

12. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Oh and I've been seeing a lot of guys trying to pull the rubber guard on me, it seems to me that there are a lot of holes in it unless you practice religiously. I pop out of their rubber guard pretty easily, it does create an annoyance though but nothing I would worry about, like getting submitted.

13. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I dont really mess with rubber guard anymore, but the funny thing is that when i was first starting out i would pull rubber guard without any idea what it was. Im a tall guy but my knees and hips are very flexible and when i got tired of holding closed guard i would just hike a leg up and grab an ankle, I could use my free leg to push on their hip. I noticed that it felt like i had the person on top of me very tight and they had trouble making any posture. It just felt like a natural thing to do to me. Like I said its not something i really do anymore, but as with everything else, nothing wrong with having another tool in the shed.

14. Maestro Nobones

very well said Bit. that's one of the things I love about jiu jitsu. it's not about rote memorization of a list of moves. it's about finding YOUR jiu jitsu and what works for YOU.

15. chechen

haha wow bit, that was very well written sir.

16. Sammo

Sammo New Member

this is the first time I've copied something off of a message board and pasted it into a text file for future reference