RSX questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Tedrzz, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

So i'm in the market for a new car. Honestly I'm not super super into car mods and ricers and all that shit, I just wan't a really clean looking car that is super reliable and is great on gas. So far every time I look at an RSX I go :cool:. I found a type S on auto trader for 13k and it has 70 thousand miles. What do you think? It's between that and a corolla, since the corolla also gets great gas mileage. I'm moving to New York this summer so I wan't something that won't break down on me really far away from home.

Sorry if this is a super noob post, I can't search since I don't have a sub.

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

NY state or city? The Corolla will get better gas mileage, but thats the only upside. The Type S is at least able to move when you need it to. Overall, both are reliable, it just comes down to 100hp vs 200hp. I've had a Type S since 04 and I really like it for commuting to work. I average around 27mpg on a tank with mostly stop and go traffic. I usually have a 5 mile highway ride during my commute...other than that it's lights and stop and go so I think it's decent mileage. I also maintained that mileage with cai, ecu, race header, and exhuast...so without that shit it'd probably do a bit better. I've only changed the oil, tires and filters on my car in 50k miles and almost 4 years.

3. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I'm moving to Rochester NY, so not NYC. How does your RSX do in the snow? Michigan snow is shitty, and I hear Rochester is pretty bad too. Should I forget about it? I just love the way RSX's look and being made by Acura I'm sure its a super reliable car.

4. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

how it handles in snow really depends on your tires, they come from factory with summer tires i think, unless its different up north, from what i understand most people have an extra set of winter tires?:hsd:

5. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

hey Tedrzz from PBN?
    It's Art. y'know, BOS :p

6. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

hell yes tedrzz from PBN! :)

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I had a 2002 RSX Type-S... I had so many issues with it... transmission had gear-grinding problems, engine burned oil like crazy, and some other minor things. I hear that the 2003s and later are better, so I would stick with those.

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Depends on your tires mostly, but the car is ok in the snow...no major issues. Just like any other car. My g/f has a 06 TL and that thing is a tank in the snow...goes through anything.

9. T3H T1M1NAT0R

T3H T1M1NAT0R New Member

PBN ftw :bowdown:

I'm also looking at RSX Type-S's but can't find any in my area :(, been looking for a month. I might just get a Mazda 3 or 02-05 Si, but I really want an RSX.

10. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

get a teg Type-R?

11. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i have an 02 type-s, and i can attest to the grinding issues... that being said i'd buy another one in a heartbeat. i drive a shit ton of miles, and the car is great. great mileage, great styling, great interior. its not fast, but its quick, and mileage is awesome. mine has 106-107k on it, and has had nothing major happen. i def. would buy again. i am a lil lazy on the upkeep, and it still passed an e-check with flying colors too.

12. red97gst

red97gst New Member

RSX > Corolla

That much is simple...

If you're in rochester you'll want winter tires with any 2WD car.

If you get something with 60k+ miles , make sure all maintenance has been done, otherwise set aside $1000 for fluid changes, belts, maybe a battery, etc. Don't want to have to deal with your car needing a tow or not starting in upstate winters