RSS REader !! I need help, will paypal $20

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Garage Battle, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Garage Battle

Garage Battle "She sprayed the playa@#she sprayed the pimp#! OT Supporter

Here is what I do with my RSS reader:

I scan craigslist all day for cars for sale. I search about 8 different cities, and within that I have about 12 different search terms i use (eg. 240 -volvo -mercedes) etc.

My current reader accepts all my opml files, and i can let it run all day. It checks every 4 minutes, and notifies me by sound when there is an update.

WHAT I NEED:

I need a different reader program that has the ability to notify me by text message or email (preferably email) that there has been an update. So, in theory I want the RSS reader to check every 4 minutes for updates, then send me an email with the update.

I have to be able to have no longer than a 5 minute delay in searching for updates. I need it to email me with the update info.

I will paypal $20 to the first person who offers me a solution. BTW I greately prefer that the reader import OPML files. Thanks!!!

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

when you say "your RSS reader" does this mean you already have something written? Adding email support should be pretty easy from an existing project with source.

3. Garage Battle

Sorry for not clarifying what software im using. I currently use a program called omea. I dont care to use it specifically, i really need one that will email eveytime there is an update.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

unless something already exists, and I'm guessing you've already searched, then you're talking about custom development.

I don't know of such a program off the top of my head that will do what you want. Maybe somebody else will. Seems like a reasonable enough request, might want to email the people who develop the one you use now.

5. Garage Battle

there may very well be an existing software i dont know about. thats what im hoping someone can suggest.

6. Garage Battle

up to $25 now. thanks!

7. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Combine all of your current subscriptions into one feed using using a feed manager or combiner (dabbledb comes to mind, but that might be overkill for your needs). Subscribe to that feed in something like RMail or Yahoo Alerts, or any of the other rss to email services.
    Alternatively, just subscribe to multiple feeds using RMail or Yahoo Alerts or any one of the services you find on these pages.

Your big problem with these services is finding something that will update every 4 minutes. A lot services have too many feeds to check, and beside s that they don't want to hammer too hard on a server (especially when the feeds are made for custom searches) in case they get blacklisted.