WEB RSS Aggregator-Type Script?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Trent Carter, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Trent Carter

Trent Carter Guest

I manage a network of blogs, and I want to display the most recent articles in a box on the main page of the flagship site. I noticed these guys do it somewhat similar:

http://www.sbnation.com/ (Recent posts)
    http://www.engadget.com/ (Scroll to the bottom)

Does anyone know of a script or Wordpress plug-in that can do something similar?

2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

3. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

4. Trent Carter

Trent Carter Guest

I assume you were talking about the Recent Post plug-in? That would work for one site, but I'm trying to make it look more like the SBNation list, where it'll take the latest post from each of my 32 sites, and list a specified number of them them in order (most recent post first, etc).

I figured that the RSS feeds would be the easiest ways to get that data, but I could be wrong.

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I misread sorry. Are all your sites on the same server or in different locations?

6. Franchise

Franchise New Member

I am interested in the answer also

7. Trent Carter

Trent Carter Guest

This looks REALLY promising.. Guess I was hoping someone had already done the work for me, but if not, I can work with this to make it do what I need. Thanks! :bowdown:

SimplePie also looks like a possibility, still trying to figure out if it's customizable enough to fit my needs..

8. Trent Carter

Trent Carter Guest

The flagship site uses an ungodly amount of bandwidth, so it's on a different server. But the other 32 sites are all housed on the same server.

9. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

magpie would work

10. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I had posted about an app i'm writing in a different thread... thats exactly what i gave it the capability to do. Select the site (or all sites) and i can manage the posts within one admin page.

11. Trent Carter

Trent Carter Guest

Ok, so I ended up using SimplePie, and it was REALLY easy. Right now, I'm grabbing the 2 newest posts from 32 different feeds, and sorting them by date/time. Obviously, I don't want my viewers seeing all 64 posts, but I want to give them the option to see them if they want.

What I'm envisioning is a box at the top of the page that would display the first 5 posts, and then a [MORE] button that would cause the box to expand and show all of the posts..

Of course, I have no idea how to do this.. :) Can someone assist? Would DHTML (something I'm completely unfamiliar with) be the way to go?

12. Kevin

Kevin New Member

span, style set to display none. contents of span contain the rest of the content you don't want them to see.

anchor tag, target to set "#", onclick event to set the span display to block.

example: onclick:'getElementById("spanId").style="display:block"

then, when they click the link, the span is displayed. of course, this isn't using ajax, and all the data is initially retrieved, but only some is displayed. hopefully its not heavy on the database

13. Trent Carter

Trent Carter Guest

Thanks Kevin.. That was the direction I was headed.. SimplePie caches the RSS feeds and only makes a call every 30 minutes, so speed/load isn't an issue, as far as I can tell. (Of course, when we're getting 15K+ hits/day when we get into the season, it's anyone's guess!)

The site, in case anyone is interested in seeing it in action: http://www.nflgridirongab.com

14. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

Glad it worked for you :cool:

15. Trent Carter

Trent Carter Guest

Maybe.. Benefits would be what, faster load times and lighter load on the server?