Routing twice with 2 routers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by o2, May 5, 2007.

1. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

Is it a bad idea? I have 1 simple d-link router sitting in my wall routing the signal into different ethernet jacks around my house. If I connect 1 of those jacks to a 2nd D-Link router (Wireless N Extreme), would it be a bad idea?I mean I can simply put the N router into the wall in the place of the 1 provided by my ISP, but it just looks so nice, I wanna keep it on my desk..... :mamoru:

2. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

if you turn the DHCP off on the N router, and plug one of its switch ports into the other router then you can use it just as a plain switch or wireless access point...you just don't want it handing out ip addresses.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, it'd be fucking stupid and pointless. It would make port forwarding difficult, filesharing near impossible, and it would really screw up your subnet/broadcast-domain.

But yes, it does work.

Realistically, you should disable the DHCP server on the 2nd router and use it simply as an access point.

4. autobahn

autobahn New Member

you could dual-dmz and it would work fine.

pointless, but fine. you'd have to have each router on a different subnet, however.

5. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

I just stuffed a switch into the wall, and then connected a router to the cable that comes from one of the wall jacks. Simple, and it works.