Routers...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JKwikkel, Sep 3, 2008.

1. JKwikkel

JKwikkel Active Member

Bought an AirPort Extreme over the weekend. Nice piece of hardware, but because my ISP is gay, it can't get an IP through DHCP. I've spoken with my provider and they say my modem should automatically detect the new router, in fact; when I pull a brand new wrt54g out of the box and plug it in I'm up and running immediately. I like the features of the AirPort Extreme, but if it's going to be a pain in the ass I'm going to exchange it for something better. So... what do people think of the Linksys WRT610n?

2. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

it's kinda junky.
    get a dir-655.
    there is thread on n routers in computers and programing

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

My cable modem will lock itself to the first mac address when it is rebooted, so you need to turn it off for a few secs if you change router. :dunno:

4. JKwikkel

JKwikkel Active Member

Yea, I left it off overnight, then plugged the AE in, but still no IP. My ISP is looking into it, they're telling me it's bad hardware.

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I just got an Airport Extreme last night. It did require me to reboot my modem with the Airport on to have it acquire an IP address. I use to work for an ISP and get to do this crap all the time.