routers and home networks...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by who?, Sep 16, 2004.

1. who?

who? Guest

so i have a dlink router, 3 computers connected to it. No 3rd party firewall programs or anything like that.
    I was wondering if it's possible to go on the other comps on my network? Like go into the computer downstairs and copy+paste a folder to my computer.

Also, with my router, can i block other computers from going into certain sites?
    Say theres computer A, B, C.... i want to block computer B from going to www.yahoo.com, is it possible to do from the 192.168.0.1 page?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Networking your computers doesn't really involve the router. You're just using the DHCP server in the router to give each computer an IP address and the switch connects them all. You need to configure Windows networking.

Most consumer routers (Dlink, Linksys, etc.) don't give you the kind of control you want. Some can block specific URLs or block certain LAN IPs from accessing the net at all, but I haven't seen any that will give you fine control over it.

3. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

The dlink will probably let you block ww.yahoo.com or the whole yahoo.com domain for all computers... but not just a certain one..

4. who?

who? Guest

are there any programs i can download to make my computer the "master" computer in which i have control over all the others?

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

For a Windows machine, look for proxy servers on the net. Of course, then your computer would have to be up all the time.

6. who?

who? Guest

i remember that back in the days....where i had to leave my comp on in order for the other comps to have access to the net..
    not worth the hassle, ill leave it as it is...
    thanks for the replies