Router Review v. wired&wireless

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by urbanlegend, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. urbanlegend

    urbanlegend One Love

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Messages:
    6,436
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Eternal City / Toronto
    I've heard and seen the worst with D-Link, and am now hearing that Linksys is brutal. I believe Linksys was bought out by Cisco not too long ago, so I am hoping the quality steps up.

    I currently run a D-Link router and I've now noticed 'blips' in browsing.

    Any personal reviews on routers? Brand/Model/Type?
     
  2. Doc Brown

    Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2006
    Messages:
    16,404
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Ohio
  3. urbanlegend

    urbanlegend One Love

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Messages:
    6,436
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Eternal City / Toronto

    I checked out what some of the guys said, but it was nothing in-depth. I'm looking for more in-depth reviews - I want to find a quality router I can stick with for a few years without having these blips.

    I might note that my downloads aren't overly slow or anything, line tests out as normal, it's just browsing slowly now.
     
  4. Doc Brown

    Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2006
    Messages:
    16,404
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Ohio
    I used to have that happen with a Belkin router. I would just reboot it
    and everything would be fine.
     
  5. 7960

    7960 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2004
    Messages:
    60,415
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    New England
    99% chance it's virus/trojan/shareware/fucked up pc, 1% chance it's your router causing this.
     
  6. urbanlegend

    urbanlegend One Love

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Messages:
    6,436
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Eternal City / Toronto

    #1 it's a new machine.
    #2 I built it myself and I work in the IT field, I'm a network admin
    #3 my machine is clean
    #4 yes, you are wrong.
     
  7. 7960

    7960 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2004
    Messages:
    60,415
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    New England
    :o

    I'm not wrong, you're just in the 1% (even though everyone thinks he's in that 1%).

    Most reviews you read are wrong, especially if they're user reviews.

    BTW, you "work in the IT field" and you "believe Linksys was bought out by Cisco not too long ago"? :ugh2:
     
  8. urbanlegend

    urbanlegend One Love

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Messages:
    6,436
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Eternal City / Toronto

    I was making a general statement, if you'd like me to be concrete, YES, Cisco owns Linksys. :o

    I don't buy all the user reviews thats why I was wondering if anyone else had experiences with D-Link routers. In the past I've used only Netgear, Linksys the odd time, and Cisco network hardware.
     
  9. 7960

    7960 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2004
    Messages:
    60,415
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    New England
    I've personally used linksys, netgear, SMC, d-link, belkin :ugh:, cisco (831 and 871 ISRs to be specific), buffalo, and microsoft. I'd recommend any of them for home use except for microsoft (actually their client wasn't bad).

    Buy whichever is least expensive at best buy this sunday and you'll do fine.
     
  10. DaveyD

    DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2004
    Messages:
    18,781
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Somewhere in Minnesota
    My WRT54GS is fuckin' solid.
     
  11. DaIceMan

    DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2004
    Messages:
    3,475
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Springfield-ish, Missouri
    I've dealt with clients with belkin and DLink and I wouldn't recommend anything other than Linksys. Maybe it's familiarity, maybe it's that they always work for me, maybe I'm a Linksys fanboy. Whatever the case, my wired router, wireless router, switch, and even one of my KVMs are Linksys.
     
  12. urbanlegend

    urbanlegend One Love

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Messages:
    6,436
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Eternal City / Toronto
    Thanks for the input guys :bigok:
     

Share This Page