Router Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles Active Member OT Supporter

Jul 18, 2002
    I have a Linksys v. 6.0 that only allows dd-wrt micro to be flashed to it. I'm trying to setup a VPN and the router is giving me hell. For instance; after trying to change the IP address of a computer last night the router stopped showing it's gui. It worked but I couldn't continue to setup the vpn.

I'm looking into buying a v. 1,2,3 or 4 linksys as a replacement and was wondering if the linksys are still the best bang for the buck. I'd like a router with abilities like QOS but don't want to pay a bunch for it.

Is there something out there that will have all the abilities a home networking user would want that would be better than buying a used linksys. (without paying an arm and a leg?)

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Jan 6, 2001
    If you want to run ddwrt or tomato, you can easily get a new WRT54GL for $50-$60 online. The GL is equivalent to the older v2-v4 models (linux based firmware), and was released by linksys to satisfy the demand for running 3rd party firmware. For the features you get from ddwrt or tomato, it is certainly the best bang for the buck.