Router question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by solobaric, Mar 21, 2004.

1. solobaric

solobaric Guest

I'm moving into a new house and my two computers will be alot farther apart from eachother than before. They will be about 50-55 feet apart now. Except going wireless, how is the best way to let them share the same modem. I have the router, but, do they make ethernet cable in lengths as long as fifty foot. What are my options?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

You can make ethernet cables in any length you want.

But if you really want to buy them premade, I think BB/CC/Frys/CompUSSR should all have 50 foot and possibly larger cables.

3. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

If your basement is not finished, you should think about puting some wall-mounts in... It will be much cleaner, and it is becomming more and more of an added feature for when you sell the house...

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You could put the modem inbetween the two computers and buy tw 25' cables as well. Shouldn't go past 300' though depending on the type of CAT 5.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

There is something I've seen on TheScreenSavers and it's been some what improved since it's earlier days.
    Powerline Networking (you can get links and a review of the products tested) is basicly a device you plug into the wall power outlet and plug a ethernet cable into near the router, do the same in a different part of the house you want to connect from and you should be networked.
    It's not great and I wouldn't really suggest it for things like gaming because the speeds are the greatest. It might be possible for someone, like a next door nieghbor, to now access your network if he/she bought a powerline networking, so keep that in mind too...just depends if they are your side of the transformer.