Router Problems...replacement suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by XR250rdr, Feb 5, 2008.

1. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I've had a WRT54G running DD-WRT at my mom's house for about a year and a half now and over the past two weeks its been acting really erratic. The internet will work for maybe a minute then appear to drop for thirty seconds or so. However, the internet runs fine if the cable modem is connected directly to one of the PCs, so I've ruled that out. If I continually ping the WAN IP it will respond for a while then requests will time out for thirty seconds to a minute.

Is there another reasonably priced router to consider? This one has been very stable until recently and I do like DD-WRT. Are any of the other models that support DD-WRT worth looking at?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Is it over-heating? Any overclock or other unusual settings or unneccessary services running on the gateway?

I would find another WRT54Gv4 and keep using DD::WRT.

I will most likely be switching what I use shortly... but only due to the need of dual-WAN support.

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The closet it resides in has plenty of airflow. Its never had any issues during summer months, so I really doubt its overheating now. The load on the router is usually under 10%.

I've never overclocked it. I did turn up Tx power to 65mW, but that was set probably a year ago or more and there havent been any wireless clients connected to it in months.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

turn the xmit power down to stock. it probably isn't the issue, but as you say you don't use wireless, so lets eliminate the factors.

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I just dropped it back to default, no change.

Just to make sure I directly connected the PC again. I'm going to let it go longer and see if it acts up this way. The cable modem is at least 3-4 years old.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

As I thought it worked perfectly with the PC connected directly.