Router Problems *Please Help, Paypal Reward*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Here is my situation, the other night i noticed that my downloads were going slowly, so i checked that my ports were open (i had them forwarded and they were open previously), the website that i checked said they were closed. Hmm...so i went into my router settings and restored the factory settings and was going to forward the ports again, after doing this i could not connect to the internet even though in the router settings it showed that it was connected, it seems that the connection is not going to my computer ( or my parents computer, also on the router). I do not know what to do, i have checked the settings, put my comp and ip on the DMZ in the router, and nothing will allow the computer to get on the internet, everything is fine if i bypass the computer and connect my computer to the cable modem. What could be the problem, there will be up to a 15.00 paypal reward for whoever helps me solve this problem. Thank You

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

first start be reseting your router to default settings...

now run the following command on your computer:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

now reboot the machine

you *should* be able to connect to your router's web-based configuration. Thus getting internet access, as well. Lastly, reconfigure the port forwarding.

Let me know what step doesn't work, if any. I would probably need to know what traceroute error you're getting, in this event, along with your ipconfig output.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

I am able to access the web based router controls, in there it shows that it is connected to the internet, i just cannot get firefox to load pages or anything

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay, please post the output of the following commands:

ipconfig /all
    tracert www.google.com
    tracert 208.44.242.31

5. Robb

Robb Guest

i did this but the black box w/ info in it only pops up for a second and then closes and i cant make out any of the displayed info

on a side note - i just got a new phone and was installing the drivers and software for it and now i have a "Wibukey" and "Wibusystems" program, would that affect it at all? just wondering, that is the only thing that is different on my computer

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

start > run, type in cmd

That will get you a prompt, then you can enter the above commands without them disapearing.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Sounds like the router didn't/couldn't give you an IP address.

Like said above, run ipconfig/all and let us know what your IP address is. If your IP is 169.254.xxx.xxx or something similar, DHCP failed. Make sure it is turned on and setup in the router.

8. Robb

Robb Guest

heres a screenshot of the above requested actions:
    [​IMG]

im not sure if tracert www.google.com is on there but when i ddi that it said"unable to resolve target system name www.google.com

edit:another wierd thing i should mention, that ipconfig shows my ip as 192.168.2.3, it has always been 192.168.2.2, i havent changed this and dont know how to, maybe thats why i cant get online..

9. BrehautK

BrehautK New Member

If your ISP uses MAC filtering the problem is the routers MAC address does not match what they have on file. You said it works if you plug the modem directly in the computer so this sounds like the problem. Clone your PCs MAC address to the router and you should be fine.

10. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Try This,

Check your routers status to see if you have a connection to an outside Ip [ie: not a 192.168 address]

If you dont have a valid IP on the status page ....

unplug your router's power

Then unplug your modem's power.

Wait 5 minutes then plug in your modem first

Then plug in router.

Check status again.
    ===========================

If you have a connection on status but still cant get online, try next steps..

======================================

Start > Control Panel > Netowork connections >

Right click on local area network.

click properties

click on tcp/ip > click properties

use these settings

Right click on local area connection again > click repair
    ======================

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

If you look at the tracert he is obviously getting online, or at least out to his ISP. He is not, however, getting any name resolution. Could be a MAC filter or other authentication issue with his ISP. His DNS is coming from the router's external DHCP info (his ISP, note the 12.xx addresses for DNS) so unless his ISP is having a DNS or network issue, it's probably not an actual DNS issue. I agree with BrehautK, call your ISP.

12. Robb

Robb Guest

i fixed it, i looked at the firewall settings and noticed a hostsvc not marked as as an exception, i checked it, and now it works again, its wierd though because i never chose to not allow it as an exception