router or hub in the dorms?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hazo, Mar 31, 2006.

1. hazo

hazo 矢田亜希子 OT Supporter

im trying share/setup a lan inside my dorm through the ethernet port given and was wondering what was better to share internet between my laptop computer and my desktop... i was considering just using a wireless linksys g router but im afraid it'll slow down my connection. help would be appreciated :noes:

2. 7960

7960 New Member

get something like a linksys 4 or 8 port router. It'll be 10/100, your dorm won't go faster than that.

you can also get it with "G" wireless...it won't slow you down that much, if at all.

3. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

If you get a router make sure you use it as a switch and AP only. Plug the cable from the wall jack into one of the 4 switch ports instead of the uplink port and be sure to turn off DHCP.

4. hazo

hazo 矢田亜希子 OT Supporter

is there a difference if i put it in the uplink port? thats what i did last time and everything worked fine, it just seemed slower. i had to change my mac address or spoof it to the mac address of my network card on my pc because at the dorms i live at, you have to log in with a userid/pw probably through some time of proxy which registers the mac address of the network adapter your on to the certain ethernet port that your using.

5. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

That's stupid. Nevermind then.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Do *not* plug your computer into the dorm ethernet without a firewall!!! And the recommendation to not use NAT is rediculous! You definitely want the protection that NAT affords you. Although nothing "corporate-grade" it is sufficient for dorm use. I'd never allow a machine on a college network without some protection.

7. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Right. On the other hand, if some student decided to fuck with my network topography, I'd introduce him to dialup :)

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ha, i remember fixing my friends computer. she called me when she was back at college to ask me about a wire that she had to hookup (she's clueless)
    she started up the computer....about 5 mins later it gets the sasser worm and shuts off.
    so, then i needed to walk her through removing it and patching her system

9. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Make sure to configure the 'router' do disable DHCP before plugging it into the drop... you could potentially take down the whole segment, and yes. They will catch you.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WRONG and WRONG.

Plug the WAN port into the dorm network, and leave DHCP on. They will NOT catch you, and you will NOT take down the network.

11. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Yes, but if he DOESN'T plug into the WAN link he will take down the segment, and if he takes down the segment they WILL catch him.

"Oops, I plugged it into the wrong port." His router takes over DHCP for the entire broadcast domain. Just disable it and then no accidents.

I am saying this from experience.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well I am sorry that you're not too bright... I was hopeful that the average person wouldn't be too stupid to plug something into the port labeled "Internet" :rolleyes:

13. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I've experienced it too... because a guy plugged his new WAP into the dorm's LAN and went on vacation for the weekend. The DHCP server was on and the entire hall's network traffic was being routed through his piece-of-shit D-LINK router.

But you're right, we're the stupid ones for warning against it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  14. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Relax. If he is asking about this he likely isn't a network guru. I didn't do this, someone at my school's res did. It happens. GetOffYourHighHorse.jpg

15. urbanride

urbanride Vodka Powered

hahahha my friend and i took his laptop to another dorms floor and used a script to set a static IP of every IP in the schools dorm range ran that for a while ... pretty much pissed everybody off for a while then we left cuz we dident wanna be caught :o

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

:rofl: That is funny as hell.