router making a significant bandwidth difference?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Furner, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

So I just got comcast cable internet installed, and once they left, i relocated the modem from directly connected to the computer to being run through a WRT54G wireless router. I connected the computer thru cat5 to the router, and re-ran the bandwidth test. before i moved stuff around, I got about 7000kbps, and after, I am getting like 4000kbps. There is only about 10ft of ethernet between the router and the computer now, versus 2ft before i moved stuff.

2. Xyroquell

Xyroquell New Member

Yes, your router can make a difference. As it is an component that checks every package it receives. I thought I read something a while ago about the bad performance of some routers, but I'm not sure if Linksys was mentioned.

Anyway I do know that Linksys is not one of the best brands you can get, eventhough it's a part of the well known Cisco systems.

3. Furner

Furner New Member

if anyone knows which specific makes and models are the best, speak up. i want to get the most out my connection.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Well, one way you can determine if your router is truly the cause is to try directly connecting to the modem and testing the speeds, then reconnect to the router and test the speeds again. With my wireless Netgear router, I get the same speeds whether I'm directly connected to the modem, or I'm wireless.

5. Furner

Furner New Member

im getting pretty pissed at my linksys anyways because all the firmware updates get worse and worse as far as the web management program goes.

6. BOTLD92Z

BOTLD92Z OT Supporter

I had an old 4 port router/switch from linksys before and when Roadrunner upped my connection to 10mbit I was nowhere near getting the full use out of it. I ran out and picked up a Netgear Wireless G (unsure of model, too lazy to look) with 4 hardwired ports and I get at or above the 10mbits on a good server.

7. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

Hey Furner, you go to Grand Valley?

8. Furner

Furner New Member

yeah i do!