Router Issue: Internet Only Works Half The Time

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PhateX1337, Jan 20, 2005.

1. PhateX1337

PhateX1337 Guest

Hey guys,
    I have a Netgear RP614 wired router and Comcast cable, and I'm having some wierd issues with my internet. If I try to go into an online game, I can ping servers and join games fine and I can talk online with no problems. However, when I try to go to a website, it is hit or miss. About 65% of the time it will say "www.whatever.com cannot be found, please check the name and try again" (I use Mozilla). I have tried reseting my modem, the router, and I have tried plugging the internet directly into my computer (bypassing the router) all to no avail. I guess I need some suggestions here, because when I called Comcast, they said my internet is fine and that they can ping my modem and get a response just fine, so its not the modem. So I'm inbetween a rock and a hard place here, if this is fixable, could I please get some suggestions? And if my router is just screwed, can I get some suggestions on what is a good new wired router to get? Thanks again for all the help guys :)

-Phate

2. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

If your ISP says the connection is fine, but hooking it up directly to your computer doesn't solve the problem, I would have to guess it's an issue with the NIC (network card). Try updating the drivers on the network card, and if that doesn't help, a DLink DFE-530TX should be locally available for $20 or less to replace your current NIC.

If your current NIC is onboard, be sure to disable it before you install the new one to reduce the chance of conflicts.

3. PhateX1337

PhateX1337 Guest

Alright guys thanks, I have now updated my drivers for my router, run 2 full computer scans in safe mode for viruses and adware (which I do normally anyway), along with some other minor things, and I think (cross my fingers) it is workin fine now, i havent had any problems yet today anyway...

4. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!