Router has same ip address as the DSL modem...which ip addy to use for router?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chickentendah, Mar 10, 2006.

1. chickentendah

chickentendah New Member

both my router and dsl modem have the same address:

This never really bothered me because i rarely need to access my dsl modem's configuration page.........i would now like to change the router's ip address, but i read somewhere that "192.168.1.1" won't work correctly but "192.168.2.1" will......

can somebody explain to my WHY this is so in a "wifi-for-dummies" way?

TIA

:wiggle:

2. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Thats not true buddy. You can go into your router's configuration and change its IP to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or whatever you want as long as its an internal IP.
    If you have DHCP enabled you'll have no problems but if you are using static IPs on your workstations then you're going to have to change them according to match the router's.

3. JubjubRSX

JubjubRSX New Member

most cases i been taught its proper to have the modem .1 and router .2
    and you can just
    have modem = 192.168.0.1
    have router = 192.168.0.2
    problem solved......if you dont run dhcp possible that running over different subnets might cause issues but not to likely mostly with just sharing of files and what not

4. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

Posts 2&3 are a bit misleading. Here's the explanation in layman's terms.

Basically what your router does is pass packets between two networks. You have a WAN (the net your modem is on), and a LAN (where your computers are).

Obviously, the two separate networks should have two different subnets. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 ~could~ be on the same or different networks, depending on how you subnet them. Assuming your subnet is 255.255.255.0 across the board, the two mentioned networks are indeed separate.

Keep your router configured as is -- in the 192.168.0.0/24 network. Assign your modem the IP of 192.168.1.1/24. Your router should route between the two interfaces and you should see your modem's web admin page.

5. chickentendah

chickentendah New Member

hey guys i appreciate the posts....unfortunately, being the wifi newb that i am, i am only more confused now.....i'm pretty damn sure it's because i don't understand how the internet works fundamentally...i mean, i know how to use it to get things done, but i don't know the whole "numbering" scheme, etc etc

:eek5:

is there a layman's guide/introduction that i could read that walks you through all the way from the beginning from computer-to-internet setups all the way into computer-router-modem-internet setups? perhaps after that, i'd finally understand what the heck IPs, subnets, domains, DHCPs, dns,etc. all mean

and if i can understand that, im pretty sure wifi configurations are cake

6. U Think U Know

U Think U Know OT Supporter

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

thats why i made my one router 10.10.10.1 and my switch 10.10.10.100
    easy for me

8. couchlock

couchlock OT Supporter

your not configuring wifi here, your just configuring routers/modems, it may be a wifi router but this has nothign to do with wireless

9. Dustro

Dustro New Member

Or you could set your modem to bridge mode and set the PPPOE authintication to the router so your router gets the pub ip.