Router Dead? Buying a new one anyways.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skyline22GTR, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

I have an older Linksys WRT54g that I think has died. All the lights on the front seem to be working correctly, but I am having a few issues.

My Network:
    2 computers hardwired to the router
    1 PS3 hardwired with an ethernet cable
    1 computer connected wirelessly.

This setup has been working fine mind you for over a year.

Now all of a sudden I can only get an internet connection on one computer at a time. I have been able to get it on the main PC and a separate time on the other hardwired PC connected to the internet. Only one at a time seems to be working. Also now that I have tried to re-establish a connection with the wireless computer downstairs I can't find my wireless network signal from the router.

I figure the router is now dead and is routing nothing. This is why I can get one internet signal (just through passing the internet signal to one PC). I don't know a whole lot about routers although I am able to set up my network myself. Do you think I am correct in my assumptions? Is there anything I can try before purchasing a new router and setting all these damn devices up again?

2. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

My last question is if I am going to purchase a new router what is the way to go? I was thinking about purchasing a new N router with backwards compatibility. I don't have any computers though that will use the N band at the moment. Will it just be a waste of money at this point in time?

I also read this on the internet and want to know if you believe the following statement to be true.

"The PS3 only supports Wireless B/G, so your wireless-N router will have to be configured in "mixed-mode." This means that all the advantages of the wireless-N draft will not be available to PS3. These advantages are the increased speed, range, and throughput that wireless-N offers.

Wireless-N devices work best when set to "N-mode only" - then you have all the advantages of speed and range available to you."

3. caddymac

caddymac New Member

Dumb question, but have you recently changed where any of the Ethernet cables plugged in? If so, is the internet modem still plugged into the WAN port?