Rounding the lumbar

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Skeletor, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I've seen a lot of people who swear by certain exercises, such as pistol squats and hanging leg raises to name a few, which seem impossible to do without rounding (de-arching, if you will) the lumbar spine. I also hear many people (who seem to know what they're talking about), saying to never ever ever round the lumbar spine.

WTF is up? I'm not trying to catch anyone contradicting themselves, I just want to know what is correct and whether or not pistol squats and hanging leg raises will be detrimental to spinal stability/health. Thanks for any advice/info. I have googled and come up with little info to satisfy my curiosity.

2. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

If god didnt mean for us to round our lumbar(s) he would have fused them together. You're fine.

3. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

the lumbar region isn't fused (sacral)

but everyone has a lordosis...if the lordosis is excessive or not curved enough, then you have problems

but a little curve is normal
    don't fret about it..i don't believe there's a way to get rid of it

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I mean taking your spine from an S curve to a C curve. A C curve of the spine is what prevents other primates from being bipedal like us, and the fragile S shape is why so many people have lower back problems.. It's simply a horrible design, but obviously has more pros than cons, judging by human success in the world.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I've seen your current deadlift form and you continue to amaze me.

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I see you, Christophers :love:

7. entropy138

entropy138 OT Supporter

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I'm not trying to criticize you in any way, dude. I don't think your form fits the standard for what is considered a safe lift... but you still lift a shitton more than me so I wouldn't dare talk shit. I'm just saying if I DL'ed the way you do I'd be in the hospital.

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

that's because DW has the worst form of all time

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Just the man I wanted to talk to. Possible answer to initial post, mighty wise one? :x:

11. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

12. Ceaze

your last video of 485 was still worse than anything i've seen at any gym or on the internet

13. LancerV

Yea it looks like you hyperextended your back in your last video, and justkinda popped your knees forward. Still made my back hurt,

14. Ceaze

Well I prefer to do single leg squats with the planted leg on a step or bench and dumbbells in front to counterbalance my weight. You can keep the spine pretty neutral this way.

With ab exercises you want the pelvis posteriorly rotated. Check out this article: Core Training for Smart Folks

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:bowdown: Thanks.

I've actually been doing my leg raises with bent legs so I can keep neutral alignment, and I've been doing these holds where I lay on my back with my legs at a 45* angle off the ground, and my arms likewise behind the head (usually with a 10 or 20lb weight held fully extended) and just hold as long as possible... This will definitely help mix things up though.

16. LancerV

Neutral Alignment just makes tighter hips

17. Ceaze

it was crap and wouldn't pass in any competition...you went from shit to suck

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I've been doing them traditionally and every time I'm done I feel like my lower back has been stretched and weakened.... I like that area to be tight and immobile.

Although the use of db's will take away some of the the balancing benefits of the squats, it beats a back injury or continued discomfort. :dunno:

19. LancerV

. what are you up to now on dl's?

20. Ceaze

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k7TUo1VPuSI

21. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

shoulder and hip mobility are two things I'm pretty conscious of lately. I've always been the type who doesn't know shit about body mechanics and I'd let my shoulder blades move around just to reach something, or bend at the low back just to avoid incorporating more body movement.

Since I've had to be so conscious to correct these things I rarely do anything without thinking in the back of my mind "how could I have moved better? What did I do right? What did I do wrong?". My hip mobility is no longer an issue for the most part. I'm not worried.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.